Which 24-70MM Canon lens to pick?

Timster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I am going to upgrade my camera to a Canon 7D (Currently I have a 40D). I would also like to get a new lens. Ideal choice is CANON EF 24-70MM F2.8L II USM LENS however the price is a little too steep for me at approx CDN $2,499.00.

So, that leaves two alternatives:

SIGMA 24-70MM F2.8 IF EX DG HSM or
TAMRON AF 24-70MM F2.8 DI VC USD

Tamron costs a little bit more but it does come with VC (Vibration Compensation) and moisture resistant construction

Sigma costs a little bit less, no image stabilization and doesn't appear to be 'weather sealed'

The real deal breaker for me will be quality. The 24-70MM lens is going to be my go to lens for pretty much everything I do. Quality wins out over features.

Does anyone have any opinions on either of these lenses? Has anyone used either one?

Thanks,

Timster

Do yourself a favor and wait until you can afford the Canon L. There is no comparison. You can buy the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM for about CDN $1845 .00

Not so sure about all that. Regardless, the OP's question was which 24-70.

But he did say "The 24-70MM lens is going to be my go to lens for pretty much everything I do. Quality wins out over features." A 17-55 performs on a crop body the way a 24-70 performs on a full-frame. 24 is not wide when cropped, and that takes a huge chunk out of the versatility of the lens. Just providing an alternative.

Got ya. I just took it that you were indicating that my response was some how incorrect.

The Biles.....I looked up the 17-55 f 2.8.....just wanted to thank you for mentioning this lens. I was looking at the 24-70mm F2.8 however I don't think, based on what you mentioned it would work as well on my camera (Canon 30D). Not to mention the difference in price.

The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L mk II is really only in "pre-order" right now. I've seen that they're releasing in "limited quantity" but I suspect you'd have a hard time finding one.

I own the original version. The MTF curves for the "II" are considerably better (meaning the lens' ability to resolve fine detail is better). Also the filter thread diameter switches to 82mm (the original is 77mm). The original is also a "reverse zoom" -- when the lens is at the wide-angle end, the telescoped part of the lens is actually fully extended. When you zoom in, the lens actually gets shorter. I think the II is no longer a reverse zoom. I did actually like the reverse zoom when using the lens hood because as the lens gets wider, the objective end of the lens is farther forward so the hood won't cause vignetting. The hood on the "II" isn't nearly as deep (otherwise it would cause vignetting.)

One of the best purchases I've ever made has been the Sigma 17-70mm. It's got a wider spread than the Canon 24-70mm (which I also own), and is razor sharp.

Just something to consider...

Steve5D.....is the Sigma 17-70mm for full frame cameras?

Thank you Steven5D. I'm very exsited about the 17-55mm 2.8 Spoke to our local camera store, Bill agreed it was going to be a great lens for my needs. He said if i keep upgrading to say newer crop frame cameras it will serve me well. Of course my ultimate goal is to get a 1D. I know it will be awhile before that happens, however setting my goals high motivates me in every possible way.

Most reactions

Back