Which 50mm for a d7100

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. The internet is like a bowl of spaghetti so i will ask the experienced. What Autofocus 50mm do you recommend for use on the d7100? thanks

Honestly, if I were going for a 50mm, I'd probably go with the 1.4G, but it really depends on what you want it for.

I learned early on in in life that I hate constantly switching out lenses. I do use them from time to time, but only for when I need them for working in low light, like say a glamour portrait session, or out in the field, working in a dusk/dawn situation. They become valuable for those types of situations. But for every day, I just assume go with a good quality f/2.8 zoom.

Last edited:
I have the 50mm f1.8 D which is one of my favourite lenses on my D7000.

David

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

I'm running a 50mm 1.8D on my D7100...well, now days it lives on my D300. Anyhow, I love it. I also hear the 50mm 1.4D is really nice but I don't use my fifty enough to really justify the upgrade.

i have a 50m 1.4D for mine and love it.
I had the 50mm 1.8G but it just didn't work for me so I got the 50mm 1.4D and all I can say is that my JAW DROPPED :hail: love this lens and I highly recommend it.
With 1.4 you are getting a lot of light in and you don't even pay half of what the 1.4G cost, got mine of ebay for 170$.
Its sharp, very sharp even at 1.4 but like all other prime lenses its at its best around 2.8 and north.

I like the smaller size and the 52mm filter thread of the AF or AF-D models...my new 1.8 G series 50 is bigger, fatter, and uses a huge lens hood...it doesn't "integrate" well with any of the smaller Nikkor primes. The size of the lens, the size of the lens cap, and the size of the lens hood make the 50/1.8 G series, well, just so doggone large for what it is.

For Bokeh, I would go with the Sigma 50mm.
For small size, go with the 50 1.8D if you don't mind stepping down to 2.2 regularly or 1.4D if you want to actually use it wide open.
For a bigger "jack of all trades; master of none", go with the 1.8G or, if you want slower AF but larger aperture, go with the 1.4G.
For ultimate quality and bragging rights - assuming money is no object - go with the new 58mm. ;)

Thanks all. I was about to buy the 1.8d and an unused g version came available for the same price. I will give that one a go as it seems it is fairly well reviewed also

Most reactions

New Topics

Back