Which 85mm for Nikon?

...@Derrel and @tirediron, after looking and comparing portrait samples of the 1.8G and the 1.4D, I am totally in love with the look from the 1.4D (which I hadn't even originally considered.) However, it is priced a little higher than I was originally thinking of spending, so I've decided to part ways with my sony equipment to help fund it. ...
Look around on Craig's List, etc. I got my current [pristine] copy for $600.
thats a great deal! Ill keep an eye out. I was oogling them at KEH because its terribly convenient, but also in the $700-800+ range.

I have both Nikon 85 f1.8G and 85 f1.4G . Both autofocus are horrible when it gets darker compare to my Nikon 24-70. Construction quality of the f1.4 is so much better than the f1.8 version so it should hold up in the field and abuses better. It's also over $1000 more than the 1.8 version. LOL I sold the 1.8 version because I didn't need two, and that I can always stop down if I need to.

Question: which cameras? AF performace of most lenses changed dramatically with the arrival of the D500/850/5 ... suddenly the 1.4/24 AF tracks and fast

Have you the d500 and d850, didn't realize that :)

Seriously though, you should not need the very newest best most expensive cameras in their class for a lens to do its job well. Not everyone can afford your kit

strange enough the 85G 1.8 shows better AF on the D500 than on the D850, but that might be user error. The 850 AF is slightly different from the D500 AF and I do not understand the difference by now. The 500 and the 85 are sweet together.

I am sure your car is worth more than my whole bag while my car is worth less than my 85G 1.8.... I do not care about cars as long as they do what they are supposed to do.

"..thank you for reminding me to think about build quality as well! Since I am officially married to Nikon, I do hope to have this lens until death do we part. ;-) Better make sure its a good one!"

I have started to build quality as well. About one year ago, I decided to direct some of my money toward new/different photo gear. An upgrade camera body was eventually followed by five (so far) used lenses of a higher quality than my first two lenses. I bought more flashes as well.

"..thank you for reminding me to think about build quality as well! Since I am officially married to Nikon, I do hope to have this lens until death do we part. ;-) Better make sure its a good one!"

I have started to build quality as well. About one year ago, I decided to direct some of my money toward new/different photo gear. An upgrade camera body was eventually followed by five (so far) used lenses of a higher quality than my first two lenses. I bought more flashes as well.

I was just looking at higher quality flashes too. I think a name brand TTL flash definitely has its place in my kit. I do have a Neewer 750II that does TTL but it has quite a few flaws which lead me to believe it wont last too long.

I went a little backwards and got an awesome body without the glass to help it showcase the bodies potential, but I haven't regretted it! Now that I have my "bases covered" so to speak in focal lengths (28-105 and a 70-300) I have decided it's important to only grab lens's that really shine.

I guess I am starting to realize that this really is a lifetime hobby and I should make sure my kit is up to the marathon!

If you are ready to carry the weight and bare the noise .... in built quality the1.4D is really very nice

I had the 85 1.8G...it was alright
the 1.4G has better Bokeh
also consider the Sigma 1.4

I would recomment the AF-S 85mm f1.8 if it really has to be a 85mm.

Otherwise I always recomment the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro because its cheap, well built, and optically absolutely awesome.

P.s.: Needs a screwdrive motor though for autofocus, OP doesnt say what camera she uses, so no idea.

P.p.s.: I myself use of course Nikons Bokeh lens, the AF 105mm f2 DC.

P.p.p.s.: Oh, I see the OP is using the Df. Then thats fine.

Otherwise I always recomment the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro because its cheap, well built, and optically absolutely awesome.

P.s.: Needs a screwdrive motor though for autofocus, OP doesnt say what camera she uses, so no idea.

P.p.s.: I myself use of course Nikons Bokeh lens, the AF 105mm f2 DC.

P.p.p.s.: Oh, I see the OP is using the Df. Then thats fine.

I have the 105 and 135 DC lenses now. And they are both top notch. But sometimes the 85mm is just what's needed. I have been using an 85mm 1.8D lens for quite a long time. It's still a very decent lens. But, yes there are better versions out. And it is the next item on my list to upgrade. Would have been sooner but got side tracked on a couple items.

The Tokina 100 macro from what I have read and seen on videos, is highly recommended!

Otherwise I always recomment the Tokina 100mm f2.8 macro because its cheap, well built, and optically absolutely awesome..
Have been looking at the Tokina myself!

Most reactions

Back