Which 85mm

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone used both the Nikon 85mm f1.8g and the Sigma 85mm f1.4. I use a d7100. I had Canon and always liked the 85mm f1.8 on crop sensors.

If money wasn't a concern which is better? I have heard the Nikon is almost to sharp. Is that just a case of decreasing clarity in Lightroom for portrait photos? Thanks

If you have the cash for the sigma, ever consider the 85 1.4d?
I have the 85 1.8d- both score similarly on various sites in terms of sharpness although the g is sharper wide open and is supposed to have nicer bokeh at wider apertures. The 1.8d is plenty sharp. I hear the .4d to be better than the 1.8g for portraits so if that's what you plan to use, maybe rent one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks MachO. I'm in Ireland, no where here to rent and for the most part no where to try. Anything better than low end normally ordered in. I am not sure I want to spend that much on an older lens, but I will keep it in mind.

I have the Sigma 85 1.4 but have nothing to compare it to so I'm not much help. It is a good lens though.

I've never used the Sigma... but the Nikon 85 1.8G is amazing.

Once owned the 85mm f1.8D and loved it. great prices can be had.
You sold that too?

I have the 85 1.8D and it's great for portraiture. From what I've read and have been told the G lenses are great detail lenses for landscapes, etc. whereas the Ds smooth things out a bit more which is more preferred for portraiture. I haven't owned anything but the AF-D lenses

Love, love, love my Nikon 85mm 1.8G, use it for indoor portraits and moderate zoom if I can get close enough.
Dont know the Sigma, happy with the Nikon.

Thanks all for comments. Still no one that used both?

The 1.8G is so damn sharp, even wide open. The bokeh is so creamy. While you can get the D version for about $250-$300, I think the G version is a better buy.

I haven't used both, but I can say that the 85mm 1.8G is just too good... of all the lenses I own, the only one I know I would rebuy (if I broke it/lost it) is the 85mm 1.8G. The performance of the lens is unreal. The build quality is also pleasing (focus ring and overall feel is a significant step up from the 50mm 1.8G).

I'm a total newbie....So as the Romans say "consider the source"

I've owned the 1.8d and have the 1.8G. The G might be the most incredible bargain in lenses In the Nikon line. It's incredibly sharp. The only lens that's as good (that I've owned) is the 105mm 2.8VR Macro.

That said...The 1.8D at 2.8 is very good and at f4 it's fantastic. Bokeh is far far better on the G.

Keep your eyes open on CL, a 1.8D can be had (in good shape) for 250.00 if you are patient. 275.00 is an easy buy.

Sales tip from a salesman. Some people have money, lots of it. 1000.00 is like 20 bucks. I bought the G from a rich guy in Tysons Corner ( a wealthy area of the DC metro) for 370.00 - like new. He said " I saw your add and didn't feel like going through all the nonsense of taking pictures of the lens, posting, haggling" He had money and didn't care.

----------------------- Edit ------> I posted then saw the author wasn't from Michigan but Ireland. Don't know what the prices are across the pond :048:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back