Which Attenuator cable to get?

cybrmarc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I'm experimenting with getting better audio and I'm working on hooking up an Olympus DS50 portable audio recorder to the Sony HDR-SR11 mic-in. I tried a normal auxilary audio cable, to no avail. Just a bunch of loud static with the faint sound of my voice in the background.
Apparently, I'm supposed to use an 'attenuator' cable, like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details

The cable drops the line input from the mic to a level the camera can withstand.

I would just order one right away, except I don't know which strength to get. They have -25db, -35db, and -50db models.

Plus, I just read that the cable "preserves the delicate connector terminals inside the camera". Oh crap, did I possibly jack up my mic-jack by using a normal cable first?

Any input?

And by the way I work for a nonprofit on a shoestring budget (which is fine, because our philosophy is to use ingenuity over fancy technology) so I'd rather stick with this simple solution or something like it over lots of lapel mics, audio boxes, shotgun mics etc. (I chose the P.A.R. because I need something omnidirectional, and we already have one).

Thanks,
Adjul

Hi Adjul - which cable you need will depend on the output load level for your recorder. My Zoom recorder needs the $26.95 -25dB cable and my Tascam recorder needs the -50dB cable, for example - while Sony recorders use the -35dB cable.

Sadly, your Olympus recorder's specs give you the impedance (8 ohms), but not the output load level. You may have to order the -25dB cable and, if it doesn't work, send it back for the -35dB cable, and so on until you get the right one.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Bill

Most reactions

Back