Which budget Nikon travel lens?

Greaser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm visiting DC next month for the first time. I want to be able to get shots of all the sights, etc., but also get good pics of my friends and I.

I have a Nikon D3000 w/kit lens (18-55mm), which works well, but I would like something with more range to get better shots of the monuments, etc.

I think adding the 55-200 or 55-300 would probably be a good fit, but I don't really want to fool with changing lenses and carrying more gear around on the long walk.

I've read not-so-glowing reviews on the 18-200 vr, so for the price I think maybe I should pass on that one?

Would an 18-105 VR fit the bill, or should I go for the 55-200 or 55-300 and swap lenses as needed?

Um.

The 18-200mm IIRC costs about 800$ or some such ? I would rather get a high quality midlevel range zoom for that kind of money.

The 55-200mm is quite cheap, 200$ or so. Just needs careful handling because its very plastic.

DC competes with Paris and San Francisco for the most photographed city in the world.
There is not a single picture of the 'sights' that you might take that hasn't been taken - and probably better- ten thousand times.
Go, walk around with your existing lens, buy postcards and have a great time and don't buy a lens just for this visit.

If you really absolutely, positively need to have this magic multi-purpose lens, rent it to try and save the rest of the money.

lensrental.jpg

Last edited:
DC competes with Paris and San Francisco for the most photographed city in the world.
There is not a single picture of the 'sights' that you might take that hasn't been taken - and probably better- ten thousand times.
Go, walk around with your existing lens, buy postcards and have a great time and don't buy a lens just for this visit.

If you really absolutely, positively need to have this magic multi-purpose lens, rent it to try and save the rest of the money.

lensrental.jpg

I'm not interested in taking photos to sell or win awards, I just want to take some nice pics for memories.

For a nice all purpose lens, its hard to beat the 18-105mm for the money. Its inexpensive and covers a good range.

Sounds like you are better off just using a point and shoot. The long walks you will be taking to get from one site to another, the crowd and the heat will seriously wear you down quickly. The last thing you want is this bulky and heavy thing hanging on your neck.

It's more important to enjoy your time. Honestly, there isn't much in DC that requires you to have a DSLR to take a good photo of.

Sounds like you are better off just using a point and shoot. The long walks you will be taking to get from one site to another, the crowd and the heat will seriously wear you down quickly. The last thing you want is this bulky and heavy thing hanging on your neck.

It's more important to enjoy your time. Honestly, there isn't much in DC that requires you to have a DSLR to take a good photo of.

Ok thanks! Do you have any recommendations for a point and shoot? I don't have one, but I've looked at a couple of Panasonic and Olympus micro four thirds cameras. Would one of those work better, or would it still be too big too carry around in a pocket?

lensrental.jpg

I'm not interested in taking photos to sell or win awards, I just want to take some nice pics for memories.

err....

1. Gear alone does not help you sell photos or win awards.
2. If you're purchasing a piece of gear that you think will help sell photos or win awards, this would not be a top pick.
3. If someone offers you advice, the last thing you want to do is shoot them down.
4. This is actually a great lens for what you are looking to do. (I wonder about that $44 price tag, though... :lol:)

lensrental.jpg

err....

1. Gear alone does not help you sell photos or win awards.
2. If you're purchasing a piece of gear that you think will help sell photos or win awards, this would not be a top pick.
3. If someone offers you advice, the last thing you want to do is shoot them down.
4. This is actually a great lens for what you are looking to do. (I wonder about that $44 price tag, though... :lol:)

He was advising him to rent it if he ABSOLUTELY had to take the pictures himself.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh rental. That explains it. Good idea, actually.

I just picked up the 55-200mm it's a nice lens for a really good price. Lens covers a nice focal range and takes good pictures I couldn't be more happier with it at the moment. It's not the best but for right now it works for me. I will pick up a better piece of glass once I get a better feel for the camera and the use of this lens.

For the price of a 18-200 I would pick up a used 17-55 2.8 nikkor. Miles ahead of all the mid range zooms available for dx. If you have money left throw one of the new 1.8's into the mix or the good ol 35 1.8, can't go wrong. My least used lens is a long fast tele.

Most reactions

Back