Which calibratior

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted a thread in the beginners forum a while back about whether or not calibration is necessary and came to the conclusion it was (or at least preferable). Now I am ready to put some money down and would like some advice on which of the following devices would be best for me.

I have a Samsung Twisted Nematic (TN) widescreen LCD monitor, I am nowhere near a pro, and I shoot pretty much anything and everything (or at least I try to :mrgreen:), though macro and nature shots are what I do primarily. Here are the four I am looking at:

X-Rite i1Display 2
Amazon.com: X-Rite i1Display 2 Color Calibrator for LCD, CRT, and Laptop Displays: Camera & Photo
Discontinued but reduced in price.

Datacolor Spyder 3 Express
Amazon.com: Datacolor DC S3X100 Spyder 3 Express: Camera & Photo

Datacolor Spyder 3 Pro
Amazon.com: Datacolor DC S3P100 Spyder 3 Pro: Camera & Photo

Datacolor Spyder 3 Elite
Amazon.com: Datacolor DC S3EL100 Spyder 3 Elite: Camera & Photo

The price difference is relatively small for all of them so if I would benefit from the most expensive Elite then so be it but I would rather not throw money away if I don't need to. If anyone else has any other calibrators in mind let me know, these just seemed to be the most prevalent.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the response.

The first link you posted is broken but I did a search for colormunki on Amazon and was able to take a look. Most of their stuff looks to be priced at $400+ I'd rather not go that high unless I REALLY need to.

Did find this one:
Amazon.com: Xrite CMUNDIS ColorMunki Display: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use colormunki, which also gives me the opportunity to make my own icc profiles for papers

Any. They all do the same thing. I can recommend the i1 Display 2 since I have one, but there's plenty of people here who I'm sure could recommend the Spyder 3 as well. There's no real performance difference between colourimeters. Only when you get to a colour spectrophotometer that you start making a difference.

Any. They all do the same thing. I can recommend the i1 Display 2 since I have one, but there's plenty of people here who I'm sure could recommend the Spyder 3 as well. There's no real performance difference between colourimeters. Only when you get to a colour spectrophotometer that you start making a difference.

Thus the recommendation of the Colormuki.

But the ColorMunki and most other spectrophotometers are overkill unless other devices like a printer, scanner or projector need to profiled beyond just calibrating a computer display.

But the ColorMunki and most other spectrophotometers are overkill unless other devices like a printer, scanner or projector need to profiled beyond just calibrating a computer display.

Agreed, but since I use it form my printers and scanner, and since it is what I have experience with, it is what I recommend since it works quite well.

Most reactions

Back