Which camera is best to start with?

Kaleighx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this is probably definitely an opinionated answer, but hey, I do love opinions! :)

I really want to get my first dslr to start practicing taking better pictures (I was using my friend's) and I have noo idea where to start.

My point of interest that Im gearing towards is portrait photography so I also have no idea even what lenses I should start saving up towards also (telephoto?)

Ive been looking at nikon d40, d70, etc and canon rebels (pref used just for cost effectiveness) but I really have noo idea and I dont want to throw down 400-500 dollars super impulsively so I definitely would LOVE some feedback! :D

Thank you guys sooo much, I'm already in love with this forum!!

I'd say start off with a cheap DSLR like the Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel XT (I'd go Rebel XT). You'll then learn the basics of ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. Once you're comfortable with those, get an old 35mm camera to practice with taking pictures you can't delete. Using a 35mm will tune your eye and mind.

Any of the entry level cameras will do just fine, be it Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax or Olympus (did I forget somebody?).
If you decide to go for Nikon, I'd suggest a used D70 over a D40. Costs about the same, has a built-in auto-focus motor (you can use all Nikon lenses without limitations), and some other useful functions. If you get a Nikon 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 lens, you are all set for basic portrait photography, for about USD500-600.

Personally I started out with a D50 and the 50mm f1.8. Having a prime lens tends to get you a little more involved in the picture and kind of helps train your eye. Pentax might be a good option if I'm not mistaken you can get some really cheap old lenses (obviously not the best quality but maybe fun to play with) and they have some nifty features. One thing I've heard many people say (I don't know I was kind of nudged into Nikon because my dad already had some lenses) is the new lens selection isn't as great as it is for Nikon or Canon and I do know there aren't many upgrades from the base models. If you're looking to just have some fun and aren't looking to be a professional I'd say look into something that isn't the big two just as a price concern. If you're looking to be a professional photographer however there might be some disadvantages.

Any entry level is "fine", that being said the D40 level have some significant limitations that I find often frustrate photographers when they get even a hair beyond the basics.

I recomend a D70S or a D80. (in the Nikon line) Couldn't tell you in the Canon line.

If you're curious of my opinions, search under posts by me where D100 D200 D300 and D40 are all in the text. You'll find my opinions on them all.

A used Rebel XT or XTI with the 50mm f/1.8 will be a pretty good combination to start on low budget.

Also, since you are tight in budget. If you live in USA and have a old Canon digital camera laying around. Even if it is broken (or you know someone has a broken one that you can have), you may want to call Canon tech support 866-443-8002 or 800-828-4040 and ask about "Canon Loyalty program"

You maybe able to get a Refurbished Canon Rebel XT Kit (that means with kit lens) for $275 (+tax). And you need to provide your old camera serial number to them and send the old camera back to Canon later.

Don't forget to check out Sony alpha lines too. I know they are a newcomer in the game. But I have taken some nice shoots with mine.

I'd say cheap and used. Canon 10d = $300ish. Canon 20D = $400. Nikon D50 = ?$$$

I like recommending the 20D as it's cheap and not too far removed from it's newer iteration, the Canon 40D. I believe it was probably about $1000 new. It's 8mp, shoots 5 frames per seconds, and has a really nice layout that's so much easier to use than the rebels. It's not branded as an entry level camera. It has features that rival some newer cameras like the Canon XSI, Nikon D60, and the other entry level cameras from the other brands. It's a nice sturdy camera that's been around for a while so you can find them nicely used for a good price.

Bodies come and go, but lenses and lighting are where it's at.

hmm i think im definitely going to look into the canon loyalty program too.. that soudns great because i have been really loyal to canon over the years and i basically would love to upgrade

and i got a little scared reading about the limited nikon lenses so now im rethinking the d40

A used Rebel XT or XTI with the 50mm f/1.8 will be a pretty good combination to start on low budget.

I'm a 1 month old newbie and this is exactly my setup. I can say that I am extremely satisfied with my 1st DSLR and others seem to enjoy some of my photos.

hmm i think im definitely going to look into the canon loyalty program too.. that soudns great because i have been really loyal to canon over the years and i basically would love to upgrade

and i got a little scared reading about the limited nikon lenses so now im rethinking the d40

Stay away from the d40, get something with an autofocus motor! The D70 is a good budget choice, or perhaps a used d200 for a bit more. The D200 is nice in that it will meter with all old nikon lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back