Which camera is better, iPhone 14 pro or Canon Rebel SL2?

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which one might be better?

Strodav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What camera you buy has a lot more to do with what you intend to shoot and your level of knowledge of the art and science of photography. You don't need a dslr to be a good photographer. You'll see many award winning photos taken with smartphone cameras ( 16th Annual Awards – 2023 | IPPAWARDS | iPhone Photography Awards ). If you want to go down that road, then sign up for an online smartphone camera photography course. If you keep up with it, sooner or later you'll outgrow your smartphone camera and want to pick up a dslr or milc (mirrorless interchangeable lens camera). Interchangeable lens cameras give you a lot more control, flexibility and image quality compared to smartphone cameras.

To your specific question: I have an iphone 14 pro max and the cameras are improved over previous versions of iphone, but not up to the quality of my dslrs or milc. First thing I noticed was lens flare issues, mainly indoors with side lighting, so you have to be careful about lighting. I find it's great for landscapes and portraits and the macro capabilities are not bad at all. The ability to do a bit of post processing right in the smartphone is nice and you can post images almost immediately after taking them. Great tool for family events. The camera I have that is close to the SL2 is a Nikon D7200 (aps-c, 24mp) with an 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens. You can buy the camera and lens used in excellent condition for about $650 from places like KEH.com. I think you'll find the D7200 has a little better auto focus system with 51 focus points compared to the SL2's 9 point AF system. Don't get locked into any one brand. Look at Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, and Panasonic, which all make excellent entry level cameras.

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have Phase One p25 and P20 backs. both issued in 2004.

I also have an iPhone 7 Plus. Issued 2016.

The Phase one P20 has a 36x36mm sensor, the P25 has a 36x48mm sensor and the iPhone 7 plus has a 4.29x5.27mm sensor.

The P20 is 57 times larger than the iPhone.
The P25 is 76 times larger than the iPhone.

Which one do you think will shoot best?

Grandpa Ron

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The iPhone has many advantages, it is small, it is easy to carry, they take good pictures and there are a limited amount of useful photographic attachments to spend your money on. Plus you can make phone call on it, listen to sportify, access calendars, use text and down load several photo apps.

But as mentioned, with a camera you are free to chase any photographic scenario you chose and optimize your gear to do it.

The easiest way is to buy a moderately price smart phone, and discover what it is you want to photograph, that it will not do. Then determine what it takes for a camera to do it.

If big format is your game, a camera would be better. Most of the folk I know usually share there photos with friends on the phone, or a computer screen. Rarely do they print anything larger than 4x6 at Walmart.

Last edited:
OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have Phase One p25 and P20 backs. both issued in 2004.

I also have an iPhone 7 Plus. Issued 2016.

The Phase one P20 has a 36x36mm sensor, the P25 has a 36x48mm sensor and the iPhone 7 plus has a 4.29x5.27mm sensor.

The P20 is 57 times larger than the iPhone.
The P25 is 76 times larger than the iPhone.

Which one do you think will shoot best?
Was the Phase Ones almost 30k each when you bought it? I searched and got this: Phase One P25 first look, 22 megapixel
Impressive that there were 22mp cameras back in 2002, and makes sense why it was so expensive.

How would they compare to iPhone 14 pro's camera?

Here's the specs but I'm confused because it's not in a "number x number" format:

Key camera specifications: Primary: 48MP sensor, 24 mm equivalent f/1.78 -aperture lens, second generation sensor-shift OIS, Dual Pixel AF. Ultra-wide: 12MP sensor, 13mm equivalent f/2.2-aperture lens, Dual Pixel AF. Tele: 12MP sensor, 77 mm equivalent f/2.8-aperture lens, OIS.Oct 17, 2022

cgw

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the Phase Ones almost 30k each when you bought it? I searched and got this: Phase One P25 first look, 22 megapixel
Impressive that there were 22mp cameras back in 2002, and makes sense why it was so expensive.

Here's the specs but I'm confused because it's not in a "number x number" format:

Key camera specifications: Primary: 48MP sensor, 24 mm equivalent f/1.78 -aperture lens, second generation sensor-shift OIS, Dual Pixel AF. Ultra-wide: 12MP sensor, 13mm equivalent f/2.2-aperture lens, Dual Pixel AF. Tele: 12MP sensor, 77 mm equivalent f/2.8-aperture lens, OIS.Oct 17, 2022
And your point is??? Troll another site, OK?

OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
it's hard to compare because the specs for sensor are not in the same format. Asking for help from those who knows better.

ac12

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
it's hard to compare because the specs for sensor are not in the same format. Asking for help from those who knows better.

PUT the specs into a spreadsheet yourself.
Then it will be in a comparable format.

Strodav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

RacePhoto

Pete
Reaction score
Website
peteklinger.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this will come as no surprise, but it's a Smart Phone and the other is a Camera. So my opinion is still like I have arrested development. Buy the camera to take pictures and buy a phone to text and make calls. In a year or two, your phone will be obsolete and your camera will still be a nice camera.

And for a continuation, buy a used SL2 with a lens which is usually under $300 complete and then buy a prime lens that matches what you shoot most or a medium zoom like a Canon 28-135. Same for a good lens, that in ten years, will still be a good lens.

Soocom1

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit

First: I actually bought both both WELL used, at around $1K each.

but here is where the education of the concept over format comes into play.

There may be some here who will criticize this post, but please be aware that my intent is to educate.
Not advocate.

Format size is the actual size of the sensor. A 22 Mp. sensor for the P25, and a meer 6Mp for the p20. But what needs to be understood is that the iPhone sensor is simply a sensor just like the Phase one. BUT, the internal processors and attached software makes the difference in this case.

The first point is that the larger the sensor the less enlargement you have to make to get the image to a usable and viewing size. (typ. 4x6 inches).

The med. format sensors only need 2-4 times enlargement to get to the 4x6.

The iPhone 14 sensor is 1/1.3-inches in size. that translates to a near 400 times enlargement.
Here is a link that shows the relative size of camera sensors in actual inches, not MP count.
Sensor size

There is an old adage in digital photography that says "don't chase pixels". meaning that even though the iPhone 14 has 48 Mp count, when enlarged it still starts to pixelate. the med. format will also but the size you need to get to is well over 36x48 inches.

There are programs that help the issue out but if you try to print an iPhone image at 36x48 inches the overall quality will greatly suffer.

If the programming allows for all kind of wiz-bang gadgetry and you like that, plus not walking around with a 1.5 lbs brick around your neck, then go with the iPhone.

The technology in the iPhone if translated to the Med. format would put it at a solid 200-400 Mp sensor if not higher.

This image was taken with my iPhone 7. the image quality was set to high. (Same cat.)

5mNoKs9.jpg

This was taken with my P20:

iHTPbZi.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics