Which camera is better, iPhone 14 pro or Canon Rebel SL2?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The better camera is the one you have with you. You’ll carry your phone 24/7. Will you bring your camera everywhere? Will you always have it with you? I just ordered the 14pro and expect to use it for photos whenever I’m without my Fuji.

iPhone cameras have come a long way. I know people who use them for astrophotography and for macro. But when I want to take a photo for printing or for something important, I will always use my camera. Unless it’s at home!

If I had neither a good smartphone nor a decent camera and could only buy one, it would be the phone first. But it would be with an eye to getting the camera next.

OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is an old adage in digital photography that says "don't chase pixels". meaning that even though the iPhone 14 has 48 Mp count, when enlarged it still starts to pixelate. the med. format will also but the size you need to get to is well over 36x48 inches.

There are programs that help the issue out but if you try to print an iPhone image at 36x48 inches the overall quality will greatly suffer.

When used as a screensaver on iMac 5k 27 inch screen:
Would 14 pro be sharp enough that it won't pixelate ?
Would there be a difference in sharpness between pictures taken with Canon sl1 and sl2?

AlanKlein

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I found that if you're creating a video slide show, cell phones can do very good job even on a large monitor or 75" TV screen. I used a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
When used as a screensaver on iMac 5k 27 inch screen:
Would 14 pro be sharp enough that it won't pixelate ?
Would there be a difference in sharpness between pictures taken with Canon sl1 and sl2?
More than likely you'll be fine.

the canon will render an image that could pixelate in a more substantial manner only because of its age.

personally I would still take photos and compare.

Wynb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
If you want to take photos buy the camera. The i phone is great for texting and phone calls.

cdd29

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Are you wanting more serious or specialized photography or casual use? For casual or small stuff, the iphone should be fine. The Canon will be more flexible as you can change lenses. That's what I'd go for personally, but really depends on your needs.

Original katomi

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Simples…. A phone is to make telephone calls camera to take photos. Or prop the door open when you break it lol
The best camera…… the one you have with you at the time, as that is better than none

Most reactions

New Topics