Which Camera Nikon D300s or Canon 7D

Horrible as compared to what? That could very well be the best that technology today can provide. Given there's no other option that I'm aware of on the market, 31% OOF is notably superior to 48% OOF.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Could it be possible that it has more to do with the photographer in question? The wrong settings and wrong technique will yield OOF shots (obviously), and the photographer in question, "Drew," seems to be much more familiar with Canon gear, judging from his website.

Besides, professional sport photographers don't seem to have these issues -- where a very large percentage of their shots is out of focus. That alone makes me question if this review/test/whatever you want to call it -- has any real world significance. Is it supported by other reviews / comparisons? (I honestly don't know)

But if you're right and that is the best what current technology can provide... then... wow.

John McDonough, Sports Illustrated, 74 Sports Illustrated covers he shot are here for your perusal. John McDonough - SI Vault
Camera of choice: Nikon D3

Robert Beck, Sports Illustrated-- Robert Beck Photography
"All my field gear is Nikon." Equipment: " a few Nikon D3 bodies, a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8, a Nikon 24-70mm f 2.8 and a 14-24mm f 2.8,. At sporting events I will include the Nikon 400mm f 2.8, Nikon 600mm f/4, maybe a fast Nikon fisheye, a couple Nikon SB900 strobes and the NIkon right angle finder. If I need a lighter "grab" camera I'll include a Nikon D300 or Nikon D700."

"Why Nikon? The gear can take the work. The files are superior to anything out there. One of my editors once told me the Nikon files shot in low light looked better than "the other guys'" files shoot during the day! 'Nuff said. The glass is second to none as well. The color is true, the contrast crisp and the sharpness,well sharp. Because it either is or isn't. I need it to be "is". " end quote from Robert Beck.

David Bergman, Sports Illustrated contributor shooting the NFL mostly, plus the music industry. Read his blog dated Nov. 23,2009 at David Bergman — ALL ACCESS — music, sports, and concert photography
Nikon D3, Nikon D700

LEGENDARY Sports Illustrated photographer John Iacono--45 years at Sports Illustrated. Nikon. Sports Photography | Podcast
Listen to his podcast telling how to shoot sports. Gives lots of tips. Roughly 18 minute free podcast.

Robert Hanashiro, Los Angeles, USA Today photographer, and the founder of the Sportsshooter.com web site
Sports Shooter Kahuna's Blog Nikon D3, 24-70, 70-200, 300/2.8 for NBA basketball
Hanashiro switched from Canon to Nikon when the D3 hit the market. During his 2008 Beijing Olympic coverage blog articles A Letter Home From Beijing
he wrote, "On the Nikon vs. Canon front... Nikon is being used by clearly over half of the photogs here. Nikon's goal of 33% of the Olympic photographers using their gear looks to have been accomplished. I haven't seen so much Nikon gear being used at a major event like this in years. I've been carting around a Think Tank Airport Security every day with three Nikon bodies, 24-70, 70-200, 200-400, 1.4 and 1.7 teleconverters, SB800 speedlite, SC-17 cord, two full card wallets, Induro monopod, Think Tank fanny pack, sunscreen, USA TODAY Olympic pins, MacBook Pro (with power supply) ana a pouch with computer accessories (3 card readers, firewire hub, 160 gig portable hard drive, security cable, mouse, cords and adapters)."

Hmmm...I wonder how come "Drew" couldn't get the Nikon D3 to focus?
Garbage in = garbage out. Using ONE out of 51 AF points is not a very good way to use a sophisticated, flagship camera that Sports Illustrated guys favor...

Unfortunately for Canon, not a single professional organization uses their gear. You have to wonder how Canon stays in business since they don't seem to sell any professional grade bodies to pros anymore.

Or is it we're getting one side of the story?

Could it be Canon actually holds a commanding share of the professional market still?

Nah, it's more fun to pretend everyone has dumped them for Nikon. :D

Where do I sign up for the inTempus newsletter? I like that guy. :)

BTW. I shoot with both the Canon 7d and the Nikon D300. I own the 7D and shoot with a company that mainly uses Nikon. For weddings, I would use one of their D300 bodies to make it easier in post processing. (multiple people shooting the same event so using the same brand is a bit easier for color temp, etc..) I like them both. I am more familiar with the Canon body and like it's feel better. It's a coin flip on which one would be the best to own. Go shoot both of them and see which one feels better to you. Make sure to examine all controls and make sure they are in good spots for your hands. In the end, comfort and ease of use will play a big role when deciding between these.

Besides, professional sport photographers don't seem to have these issues -- where a very large percentage of their shots is out of focus. That alone makes me question if this review/test/whatever you want to call it -- has any real world significance.
Well I don't think that's too large a percentage. Let's say they fire away for a whole game and end up with 1000 shots. It means 690 of them would be in focus, which I think is reasonable. It's not like every shot will be perfect but 69% usable is a lot better than 52% usable. Thats a difference of 170 snaps per thousand.

Derrel and inTempus remind me of Siskel and Ebert :lol:

I enjoy reading their debates... I find myself reading and going YEAH! That makes total sense... Then reading the rebuttal and going YEAH! That makes total sense...

In the end I have more knowledge, but no greater opinion on the subject. :lol:

So I am confused on this single AF point thing....

Nikon has 50+ AF points, and can auto select the best one to use better than Canon. Canon has 19 AF points, and can select its point, but is less good for whatever reason, but a single point is better than on Nikon.

Here is what is confusing me..... How come when you select a single point, the Canon was better? I guess what I am getting at is this: Who cares they both must suck. If the Canon cannot select the proper area as well, who cares if its point will be better...because it won't be the right area to focus on. And who cares if Nikon picks the exact area to focus on, because its focus on that point is sub-par once it gets the correct point.
So from the sound of it, your are screwed both ways. :confused:

because its focus on that point is sub-par once it gets the correct point.

Sub-par? Really? :er:

Obviously I'm primarily a Nikon user but I've used both Nikon and Canon pretty extensively over the past couple years. In real world scenarios no pro or semi pro body I've used has ever caused me to miss a shot because of it's auto focus capabilities.

If your shots are ruined because they are out of focus. Guess what? It's your fault. Not Canon's or Nikon's.

Nikon has 50+ AF points, and can auto select the best one to use better than Canon. Canon has 19 AF points, and can select its point, but is less good for whatever reason, but a single point is better than on Nikon.
Nikon has 51 AF points, only 15 of which are cross-type (e.g. more sensitive).

Canon has 45 AF points of which 19 are cross-type (1D3 body).

The new 1D4 has 45 AF points all of which are now cross-type sensors. The new D3s still has 51 AF points with 15 cross-type.

Where are you reading that the 1D3 will select the wrong focus point and the D3 will select the right one?

Nikon has 51 AF points, only 15 of which are cross-type (e.g. more sensitive).

Canon has 45 AF points of which 19 are cross-type (1D3 body).

The new 1D4 has 45 AF points all of which are now cross-type sensors. The new D3s still has 51 AF points with 15 cross-type.

Where are you reading that the 1D3 will select the wrong focus point and the D3 will select the right one?

It was a semi sarcastic remark at both companies. It was in RE: to what you are Darrell were going back and forth on where you mentioned the single point was better on Canon and he said it doesn't matter because it wasn't auto selecting the point of a legitimate sports subject.

I got the impression that both fail rather than one winning if those statements are both true.

I wonder what he decided to get???? lol

I wonder what he decided to get???? lol

LOL, me too. Wonder if he'll ever come back to this forum? LOL

Hey guys I am still here and have been following the whole discussion with curiosity and I agree with people who have recommended me to go to a store take both cameras side by side and comapre. I beleive that's what I am going to do and whichever feels good in hands and has a user friendly menu I will pick that one.
As far as this forum is concerned I think this is one of the best forums I have ever been to and soon I am going to be addictive. But very soon I need to get some time out and get my hands on one of those beauties...Good on you guys and keep up the good work.

Well, I am surprised you followed this thread at all. You asked about the 7D and D300s and most of it ended up being about the 1DmkIII and D3 LOL.

Most reactions

Back