Which Camera Should I choose? Cannon Rebel T2i or Nikon D5100

WSInternational

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to photography and know literally absolutely nothing about it. I have used a couple of different cameras to take photos for my business and website and that's about it.

Recently, I decided to get a small table top photo studio for my products and to update all my photos for the products that I sell on my company website. We sell satellite TV equipment like satellite set top boxes, motors, etc... I guess very small and larger items.

I got married a few weeks ago and figured I'd go ahead and spend a little bit of money on a good camera for my honeymoon, but mainly for my project above. I bought a Cannon Rebel T2i, but also ran across the Nikon D5100. I've been contemplating whether I should exchange the T2i for a D5100.

I may be wrong, but from what I understand, the Nikon D5100 is a more professional camera with more bells and whistles. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't know anything AT ALL about photography, but I'd like to start getting into it a little bit more and learn. I want something that I can grow into, so something better than a start up camera. I figured if I'm going to spend the money anyway, I don't mind spending an extra couple of hundred dollars and getting something that may be better that I can grow into because I won't be spending $1000.00 on a new camera anytime soon.

I know many people always stick with one brand and only recommend one brand no matter what, but if you can please help me based on the information I have provided, that will be great.

I wanted to get your professional help on a few things:

1. Which camera do you think will do me good, both for my business and personal outings, etc...? The Cannon is an 18 megapixel camera and the Nikon a 16.2. I know that will not make a any difference for my photos for the website, but how about just everyday use?

2. In regards to the flash, can someone please explain the difference between the different types and please tell me what each one is designed to do? I was on eBay earlier and saw quite a few different types, but don't know which one I should get or the difference between them. I know I will need to buy the white plastic cover that goes in front of it to avoid shadows ( I think ) for my products.

3. In regards to the photos of my products for my website, I need to figure out which setting would give me the best results. When I take photos of my products, I want the label on the products which shows the product specifications to be crystal clear. Any help would be appreciated.

I know I will probably have much more questions as I start to re-do the pictures on my site, but I think these few questions is enough for now.

Thank you all for all of your help.

Sorry to bump this up, but I'd really like to get some honest input from some users (before my 90 day return/exchange period).

Thank you all again. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone on this forum can or will answer your questions as written, especially when it comes down to what setting to use. How a photo turns out, and what settings you use, depend entirely on the lighting, white balance, and how your gear is setup among quite a few other things. If all your looking to do is have a camera to tote about and use occasionally for taking product photos, why not look at a nice point and shoot? Either way, you can't expect professional product photos without dumping some serious money into lenses, lighting, and studio equipment. Thats not even mentioning the time required to master something like shooting products. Product photography is one thing most would say many people "do", but few do "right". In many respects a DSLR offers you no better photos outright from your average nice point and shoot camera, as we say around here the camera doesn't make the photo. This is especially true if your going to be posting your photos up on the web, where a DSLR has few advantages over a point and shoot in terms of online image quality since most are so reduced. Really a DSLR's main advantage is it expands the ways in which you can take photos, for example, by using different lenses. If your not looking to really get creative, and really feel like your being restricted by your average P&S, then theres no reason to have a DSLR.

Now, all things considered, and considering you own a Canon T2i at the moment, and I doubt your looking to return it for a P&S, I would say keep it. While its a huge waste of a camera, if your not interested in getting creative and really learning photography, just use the preset shooting modes, such as portrait and Auto. However, if you're looking to really get into photography, and really be able to take some quality product photos, pick up that T2i manual and read it through twice or three times for starters. I'd hope you wouldn't let the poor thing live out its functional life in auto mode. I have a T3i, and I couldn't be happier with its shooting performance in Av, Tv, and full manual.

As for whether or not to pick up a Nikon D5100, I see no reason to. From your description, your not looking for a camera to get into serious photography with, so really breaking down the pros and cons of each camera would be a waste of time, both will more than satisfy what your looking for. The only note I would make is that many reviews put Nikons as having an easier learning curve than Canons, but from my experience, that wont matter if you'll just be sticking to auto as it currently looks. So on that note, stick with the T2i, there's no functional reason for you to change given the type of use the camera's will be getting.

Last edited:
Idk. Personally, I use a Nikon D7000 as it works amazing for personal and professional use. I also bought a Nikon Speed light flash for around 350 that also works fine and dandy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

The best piece of advice I read when I was trying to make the very same decision about a week ago (and I am in the same boat as you as far as beginner knowledge of photography) was to go into the store and play with the camera yourself. I was almost 100% sold on the Canon t2i because of price, and the fact that a few photographer I know both work with Canons. I figured they would be able to give me a lot of advice on the ins and outs of the camera. HOWEVER, when I went to the store and actually held the cameras in my hands and played with some of the features, I was sold to the Nikon 5100 :). It fit nicer in my smaller hands, and I liked the way it was designed and the ease of the buttons. I would suggest doing the same :).

I agree with all of the above. I also had a canon t2i that I was "trying out" not too long ago. I decided to go with the 5100 because it felt better to me. I felt that it was more geared to the photographer and in tune with what I wanted it to do than the latter. So I do really believe it will be a personal opinion for you. Check out stores that will let you try them out. The best thing I ever did was put the 2 camera side by side and shot with each of them. That gave me the real feel of them both and I was able to make the best decision for me. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back