Which Camera Strap?

I don't know if we have any more of the TPF straps, but I have posted the question to those who should know.

I have two of them myself. One is an older model, with a shorter neck pad but still works just fine.

What I really like about them is the double clasps. 90% of the time, I don't use the neck pad and just use the short ends of the strap as a wrist strap. The loose neck pad can then be used as a ring to secure gear or whatever.

Actually, when I do use a neck strap, I take both neck pads and put them on one camera so that the strap is long enough to use across my chest, not just on my shoulder. That way I can easily carry two bodies, one on the chest strap and one in my hand with the wrist strap.
Mike have you ever had a connector break on you? Thanks

up strap for sure

but get the kevlar one its worth it especially with sports incase u lose ur grip on the cam when strap around ur neck the strap doesnt stress

I never thought 2 pages of strap discussion would be interesting!

I'll second that emotion! :D

Since my DSLR is permanently attached to a tripod in my studio for the time being, the Canon strap is still in the box.

With my film bodies I used common black cotton web type straps which worked just great for me for more than two decades. What I liked about them besides their width (comfort) is their level of adjustability. With 3 bodies on me, I could strap one around my neck, one across my chest and the 3rd and most used one on my shoulder.

My humble opinion on your three choices:

SLR-CLASSIC: UPstrap Rubber and me don't get along. Even through a shirt, it irritates my skin. The pad doesn't seem that big so if you want to hang your camera from your body a different way from the usual, you have to move it along the strap. If it is too easy to move, it means it would probably move when you don't want it too.

Yep

RS-4 R-Strap » BlackRapid.com That is an interesting idea. Wonder how it feels in actual use. I also think I would have a tendency to hand the camera in such a way that the lens would face back.

It does a bit but the weight of the lens keeps it pretty much pointing down with the body/lens pivoting on the ring connector. It doesn't worry me though as I always have the hood on the lens. As for comfort, mine got comfortable after about 3 wearings and it got broke in to which side the thing would always hang.

Pro & Pro Loop Strap | Demo Page I have a serious problem with that one because I have had a set of those plastic snap connectors break on me. Plastic does not age well and there can also be manufacturing problems that make them fragile which was my case, only 6 month old. Thank God it was not a camera. But it was enough of a major problem that I will not trust one of those again.

I've been using the OP for quite a while and never had a breakage issue. Mine have a heavier military grade connector than the standard off the shelf model.

I guess I would go with the BlackRapid. And, compared to the one that someone else gave you a link to, I like the fact that it attaches to the bottom of the camera.

The two different styles have different functions in my opinion. The black rapid is great for multi body shooting or to have the camera with you. The OP is comfortable and great if you are actively shooting.

I'll second that emotion! :D

Since my DSLR is permanently attached to a tripod in my studio for the time being, the Canon strap is still in the box.

With my film bodies I used common black cotton web type straps which worked just great for me for more than two decades. What I liked about them besides their width (comfort) is their level of adjustability. With 3 bodies on me, I could strap one around my neck, one across my chest and the 3rd and most used one on my shoulder.

My humble opinion on your three choices:

SLR-CLASSIC: UPstrap Rubber and me don't get along. Even through a shirt, it irritates my skin. The pad doesn't seem that big so if you want to hang your camera from your body a different way from the usual, you have to move it along the strap. If it is too easy to move, it means it would probably move when you don't want it too.

Yep

It does a bit but the weight of the lens keeps it pretty much pointing down with the body/lens pivoting on the ring connector. It doesn't worry me though as I always have the hood on the lens. As for comfort, mine got comfortable after about 3 wearings and it got broke in to which side the thing would always hang.

I've been using the OP for quite a while and never had a breakage issue. Mine have a heavier military grade connector than the standard off the shelf model.

I guess I would go with the BlackRapid. And, compared to the one that someone else gave you a link to, I like the fact that it attaches to the bottom of the camera.
The two different styles have different functions in my opinion. The black rapid is great for multi body shooting or to have the camera with you. The OP is comfortable and great if you are actively shooting.
Where or how did you get the stronger grade connectors? Thanks

Yep

Where or how did you get the stronger grade connectors? Thanks

They were just part of the package. The OP uses better materials than the off the shelf stuff. I didn't mean to imply that it was actual military hardware. It is just heavy duty stuff rather than the standard fare. Sorry for the confusion. My wording was poor.

I have used all types of straps, and liked the Black Rapid RS-4. Its perfect for me. It allows you to get the camera to your eye very fast and it hangs the camera at your side. I like the idea of the camera strap mounting to the tripod screw. If you do any sports shooting, its perfect.

After reading this thread a while ago, I just upgraded my strap. I went with the BlackRapid. It is so much better than the original Nikon strap that came with my camera (D5000). I like that it hangs down at my side, but very easy to get to. It feals very safe and secure when just walking around.

-Andy

Most reactions

Back