which camera to buy for my daughter?

FayYeo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My daughter wants a DSLR camera for Christmas and as much as Id love to buy her one I cant afford it! She is 17 and a great photographer, very experimental and creative. Last year she had a Fujifilm compact and has maxed as far as she can with this camera. She wants to be able to manually adjust shutter speed etc and have more control over taking pictures and being creative. I have been looking at the Fujifilm DS400 but am unsure if the camera will give her what she wants. Can anyone suggest anything please? my budget is around £200. Thank you
Fay

super low price range, couldn't get much of a dslr with 200E'
Possibly this , but you would still need a lens so it would be about 230E? not sure in USD hah

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You need to have at the very least a bridge camera-one that is capable of full manual as well as auto. The Nikon P500 will fall into your budget I think. It's Nikon's current top of the line bridge and a pretty impressive camera.
Canon's current top of the line is the SX40 HS which I believe comes a bit out of your budget. Fuji has some great ones but I find them to have a shutter lag that is painful if you are shooting children playing or wildlife.
Panasonic also makes some great ones, but I honestly don't know their line up as I tend to stick to Canon or Nikon whenever I look at camera gear.

Canon's current top of the line is the SX40 HS

What? What about the G12?? It even has a hot shoe that the SX40 doesn't have.... very important for getting creative as the OP's daughter wants.
OUt of budget. Doesn't have the zoom that the SX40HS has... it's a toss up between them!

Have you thought about a Micro Four Thirds camera? I'm sure you can get an older Olympus in your price range.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

thanks for your suggestions, think Ive narrowed it down to either the Nikon P500 or a Fujifilm S400, the others are out of my price range.

Might I suggest a Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3 used on eBay?? Alternately (and possibly better in some ways), a used Nikon D50 or D70, or Canon Rebel XT, with kit lens??

Yeah, if you can get an older Digital Rebel, that would really work well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back