TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello
m a newbie at photography.
just need suggestions on which camera to buy in the 250-300$range
shahrez

can you embellish a bit what your needs might be?
do you care about the ability to add lenses? does size matter to you? will you be shooting on auto all the time or would you like the ability to go manual? do you have a need for something that will shoot nicely in low-light conditions?

tell us what you want to do with photography and we can better gauge our suggestions.

can you embellish a bit what your needs might be?
do you care about the ability to add lenses? does size matter to you? will you be shooting on auto all the time or would you like the ability to go manual? do you have a need for something that will shoot nicely in low-light conditions?

tell us what you want to do with photography and we can better gauge our suggestions.
in order
answers to your questions are
kinda
no
both(more manual)
yes that would be nice.
shahrez

Try and snag a used Nikon D40 kit for a steal?

Thats what I would do. I've seen used ones for as low as 250.00 with a kit lens. Not a lot of love for them here by some for the lack of an AF Motor in the body but it's a great starter camera to learn on and takes great pictures. Cant speak with experience about other brands.

Try and snag a used Nikon D40 kit for a steal?

Thats what I would do. I've seen used ones for as low as 250.00 with a kit lens. Not a lot of love for them here by some for the lack of an AF Motor in the body but it's a great starter camera to learn on and takes great pictures. Cant speak with experience about other brands.
i know but id prefer a new camera.
shahrez

ill go ahead and toss my (biased) vote for picking up a D40...the lens limitations have not even grazed me, and it;s been over a year, so i think it's safe to say you could get some serious enjoyment from that rig before you decide the lack of body AF motor is limiting you.

I am also on a limited budget - so I've been reading for the last few months waiting on a bonus. I should have my Nikon D40 tomorrow! You could look on ebay I'm sure, but it can't hurt to save up.

Refurbished cameras are generally in just as fine of a condition (if not, better) than brand new cameras as they must pass various different inspections to be considered refurbished. There's definitely nothing wrong with buying a refurbished body, means more money for lenses which is always a good thing.

Over the last couple months I've seen the Nikon D40 for $350 (new) a couple of times from respectable dealers. Check out slick deals on a daily basis and you might catch a deal like this before it's sold out.

Also there are lots of rumors about the D40 being replaced this summer (take it for what it's worth) so maybe the price will drop even more.

Not that he's asked for a DSLR. He doesn't want (well, he doesn't care) the ability to change lenses.

Not that he's asked for a DSLR. He doesn't want (well, he doesn't care) the ability to change lenses.

i thought his answer to my "do you care about the ability to add lenses" question was 'kinda'...to me that reads as interest in a dlsr, no? unless i misunderstood.

the short and long story of it... If he wants a new DSLR for $250-300 its not going to happen.

Advanced (crossover) point & shoot well now your talking and I would say something like the Canon SX110.

Here is a search done at B&H Photo of all canon point and shoot cameras from $250-$299
Point & Shoot Digital Cameras | B&H Photo Video

I am bias tho, I am a Canon guy myself. Nikon also makes great cameras tho

Most reactions

Back