Which camera to choose (mirrorless dilemma)

pepciobox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I want to buy a new camera, can you guys help me to chose? I have some experiance with analog SLRs, my adventure with digital cameras (Cannon 30D) was short. I love the mirrorless cameras that are now on the market, I'm looking for something easy to use, most of the time i will be taking family pictures (low light - indoors, kid's playing, vacation etc... ). I want something small, with easy to use auto settings (so my wife will love it) and something i can play with as advanced amateur. I'm strugglig with my choice between X-T10 16-50mm, OM-D E-M5 MK I 12-50 mm, OM-D E-M10 MK I 14-42 EZ and A6000. For now the E-M5 is my top choice because of it's body build i like the weight, solid constuction and image stabilization, but other options are also tempting. I'm worrying that E-M5 is much older then the others and it's only 4/3. My priority easy to use and good picture in low light. Budget around 700$

P.S. I know i want all in one but your opinion will be helpfull.

Thanks!!

If the Olympus feels best in your hands, then that's your best choice. All the specs in the world don't matter if you don't enjoy using the camera and therefore never take it out.

However, you're probably here because you want to hear about the specs. In that case, the a6000 does the best in tests for low light. It has a larger sensor than the Olympus micro four thirds line, which equals better low light performance. It also has great autofocusing capabilities for moving kids. It's the camera I have, and I love it.

But if you've already tested them all in a camera store and think the E-M5 feels best, go for it. All of those cameras can produce excellent pictures, what really matters is what you'll feel happiest using.

I think Fuji X and Olympus/Panasonic MFT are recommentable as systems. Both have a good array of good lenses, and good cameras. Personally I would pick Fuji, because the sensor of MFT is IMHO needlessly small. Of course if you want extreme focal lengths, or extreme zoom ranges, then you might disagree, because of course then MFT lenses can be even smaller and more compact. The other disadvantage of Fuji is that most lenses - except the two TC ones - are pretty expensive. They are also very well built and optically great, though.

The X-T10 is the camera I would hav epicked, too. Over the X-E2s, it has a tilting monitor. I love those.

But I would however strongly recomment getting the XF 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 OIS over the XF 16-55mm f2.8 WR, since the later is considered one of the weakest Fuji lenses, while the XF 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 OIS is very good, probably the strongest kit lens of any system ever. Also, of course, image stabilization is nice to have. The other Fuji X lens to avoid is the 18mm f2 pancake; the 27mm f2.8 pancake is very good though.

I really cant recomment the Sony E system. For example lenses: (a) despite being an approximately twice as old system as Fuji X, theres still not too many lenses, while the flow of new Fuji X lenses is pretty constant (b) while at first it seems Sony E lenses are cheaper, actually many Sony E are pretty expensive (c) even among these expensive lenses, many are still pretty weak (d) theres some good lenses, but they are few, and expensive. Its true though that the Sony cameras have quicker autofocus than Fuji X.

I'm not aware that Sony E would be better in low light than Fuji X. For all I know, Fuji uses Sony sensors, and when in doubt I would assume Fuji can tune them better than Sony themselves (just like Nikon can).

From your list I would go with the Fuji, it has good low light and good lens selection but if mirrorless I would go with one camera system and thats Sony A7.
Its FF and only mirrorless camera I can see myself owning someday in the future.

If you like the EM5, go with it. They all have pros and cons but they are still all very good. The sony may have the edge on moving subjects, the fuji may have the edge on high quality lenses (but m43 has more, and some slightly cheaper in build and cost as well as high end). The Olly probably is slightly less good in lower light, but it still is very good. Its the only camera that I have that my wife is happy to take a shot with

Boats near Oia sunset (3) by jaomul, on Flickr

Oia Santorini (5) by jaomul, on Flickr

Thank You All For Advices!
I took the A6000, very happy now :D
All of them takes good pictures, so i decided i want most mobile camera of all
A6000 has nice grip, small with kit lenses, can be charged with usb cord (same as smartphone), and was the cheapest of them all so i can afford some prime lens to it for start!
Thanks a lot for helping realized what i needed :D

Thank You All For Advices!
I took the A6000, very happy now :D
All of them takes good pictures, so i decided i want most mobile camera of all
A6000 has nice grip, small with kit lenses, can be charged with usb cord (same as smartphone), and was the cheapest of them all so i can afford some prime lens to it for start!
Thanks a lot for helping realized what i needed :D
If you didn't buy it yet the Sony a6300 just was announced so its worth getting it if you ok with price difference from the old model the a6000

He just wrote he already bought it.

Lets just hope he's happy with that descision.

Most reactions

Back