Which camera to choose?

meganc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am just getting into photography, and atm I only have a point and shoot, so I'm looking for a dslr. I'm on a budget, so I was looking at the Nikon D40 or the Canon Rebel XTi.
The d40 is $470 with the 18-55 mm lens on B&H photo
I know megapixels don't make the camera I just thought I'd throw it in there,
the d40 is 6.1 mp
And the XTi is $590 with the 18-55 mm lens (same website)
xti is 10.1 mp
Or should I go up to the Nikon d40x for $609 with a 18-55 mm lens
d40x is 10.2 mp
And for Canon, the next up was the 30d (well on their website, that's the next up) but the body alone was $800, so yeah
But I mean I could just go down to the Rebel XT for about $400
xt is 8 mp
So yeah, I don't know, I was trying to stay with either Canon or Nikon, and I was trying to stay under $600, and the cheaper the camera is the sooner I could get it. This would be my first dslr so I just need a "beginners camera".
Which camera do you suggest? Doesn't have to be one already mentioned, but I think staying under $600, between canon and nikon that's about it lol.

The d40 is great for just starting out if you don't want to go further in your photography. As you know or don't, the D40/D40x will only auto focus with AF-S lenses. These lenses are few and far as of right now, and some of the great lenses such as the 50mm 1.8 won't auto focus. My D40x is for sale by the way :) and I was willing to work out a price with you.

I love my D40!!

I'd recommend reading this thread on the D40, and then decide for yourself whether or not the camera will work for you. Lots of people have one and love it in spite of its limitations, myself included.

What kind of things do you intend to photograph? Anything in particular? Also, forget what anyone says here. Just go to a store and try them out for feel, how easily you can reach controls, and if the menu system makes sense to you or not. You can make great photos with any of these cameras, so what's more important is how easily you can use the camera.

Between the D40 and the D40x, I'd definitely go with the regular 6MP D40. Cleaner high ISO performance, I rarely need the extra megapixels, the 6MP sensor seems to give sharper results with the cheaper lenses out there, and the super fast 1/500s flash sync is insanely useful in bright daylight when you're trying to fill in shadowing on people's faces.

Why not look at a used Nikon D50 or D70? That is, if you decide to go with Nikon. If you go that route you can save $$ for better glass and not have the auto focus limits with the D40. Not that the D40 is bad. I have one and it works great for what I bought it for. I just found myself liking photography more after getting it and ended up getting a D80 for the lens benefit.

A good used D50 or D70 would serve you better than the D40 in my opinion. I went with the D80 will play with it for a year and then bump up. If you had to choose between the D40/40x and the XT or XTi I would go with the Canon. Just my opinion though.... Do lots of research and decide. Do read that post mentioned though.

I'd recommend reading this thread on the D40, and then decide for yourself whether or not the camera will work for you. Lots of people have one and love it in spite of its limitations, myself included.

What kind of things do you intend to photograph? Anything in particular? Also, forget what anyone says here. Just go to a store and try them out for feel, how easily you can reach controls, and if the menu system makes sense to you or not. You can make great photos with any of these cameras, so what's more important is how easily you can use the camera.

Between the D40 and the D40x, I'd definitely go with the regular 6MP D40. Cleaner high ISO performance, I rarely need the extra megapixels, the 6MP sensor seems to give sharper results with the cheaper lenses out there, and the super fast 1/500s flash sync is insanely useful in bright daylight when you're trying to fill in shadowing on people's faces.

Holy great post

While some of the ideas are solid, I think the original topic is off-kilter. First off, a lot of beginners want a smaller camera, by taking the AF motor out, you save size and weight. Secondly, if someone does get really interested in photography, when its time to upgrade, they will buy something better, and the best part is, they will be able to use every lens they already own. Next, most of the target market for the D40 isn't interested in lugging around 15 lenses. Most purchasers bought it because it was lightweight, and easy to use, not because it was "pro-model durable." Do you seriously think most beginners are going to carry 8 specialty lenses around with them? No, most will likely carry the kit lens and an intermediate zoom, and nothing else. Furthermore, most of the target market want to push the shutter-release and take a picture, not fiddle with DOF, or bracketing, or things more advanced users enjoy. Another problem with this argument is, if someone goes out and uses the D40 like a pro, how long will it last? I wouldn't bet on it being very long.

The major problem I have with this argument is, sabbath, you aren't looking at this like the majority of potential D40 buyers, you are looking at it from the perspective of someone who is very interested in photography. To us (those very interested in photography) lens useability is important, but to a begineer, who doesn't have a stockpile of glass, it isn't nearly as important. Most people whio buy a D40 will never be able to tell you the extolls of a "thrifty fifty." Most probably won't even know it exists unless a friend mentions it. Sure it would be nice to have "cheap" lenses available, but I don't think most D40 buyers care beyond a couple of "cheap" zooms.

I think Nikon did an excellent job with the D40, and we should try to get as many D40s into hands as possible. Why, you ask? Because these people are people who probably would never have taken an interest in photography before buying the D40, and the more people we can bring into our hobby the better it is for all of us. If they decide to upgrade one day, then it worked on many, many levels and is benificial to everyone from the manufacturers, to artists, to the hobbyists, and to the pros.

I've got a friend who owns a D40 and absolutely loves it. In a few years he may upgrade, but he may not, its too early to tell right now. I'm working extremely hard to turn him into a photographer as opposed to a snapshot "artist." One day he might catch the fever, but if he doesn't, he still enjoys his camera, and that is the most important part. Remember the technical apect of the thing is unimportant, its all about making great photos and the D40 can make great photos. People used MF lenses for years, people used lightmeters and grayscales for years, people used manual winding for years and yet they still took great photos.

I bought the XT and couldn't be happier.

The reason I went with the XT over the XTi is because the only difference is that one is 8mp the other is 10.2mp. For me I don't ever plan and printing pics bigger than 5x7, maybe some 8x10's, but 8mp's are plenty enough to print some 8x10's. So unless you plan on cropping and enlarging pics, the extra money spent on those 2mp's could be used for something like a camera bag, or a different lens.

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of leaning towards the D40 because I could get it in about 2 or 3 months...about that thread, I read something about it somewhere else, I still think the d40 would work for me, I can get it with the 18-55 mm lens for $470 (already said that) and that would be fine for me for a while, and when I feel I need to upgrade I would probably just want another camera, so I'd probably go with the d80 or something above. And I'd also be able to afford a more expensive dslr so yeah. Whichever one I choose, I'll be using for a few years. Well that's the way I looked at it, so I think it would still be nice. I do need to go find a store and see which one I like the feel of best, looking at the canon ones they do look a little bulkier or something, that's another reason why I'm leaning towards Nikon. And the d40x is $100+ more than the d40, so I'd like to get one asap, so like I said in the beginning I could get the d40 in a few months. About the second quote M1M posted, I agree. Right now I'm just beginning, so having a bunch of lenses aren't too important, I think the 18-55 lens would be fine for now, probably for a while. Shooting photos is something I love doing, I just want a more professional camera than a point and shoot. The d40 may not be a very professional camera, but it would be fine for me, it would give me nice photos, and that's what I want.
I think overall I'd probably be happy with it.

And then I look at it again and now I think I'm stuck between the D40 and The XT. I'm really bad at deciding things, lol.

About the kind of photos I shoot, pretty much anything worth photographing. Right now my main subject is my puppy, lol.

Thanks for the replies. I'm kind of leaning towards the D40 because I could get it in about 2 or 3 months...about that thread, I read something about it somewhere else, I still think the d40 would work for me, I can get it with the 18-55 mm lens for $470 (already said that) and that would be fine for me for a while, and when I feel I need to upgrade I would probably just want another camera, so I'd probably go with the d80 or something above. And I'd also be able to afford a more expensive dslr so yeah. Whichever one I choose, I'll be using for a few years. Well that's the way I looked at it, so I think it would still be nice. I do need to go find a store and see which one I like the feel of best, looking at the canon ones they do look a little bulkier or something, that's another reason why I'm leaning towards Nikon. And the d40x is $100+ more than the d40, so I'd like to get one asap, so like I said in the beginning I could get the d40 in a few months. About the second quote M1M posted, I agree. Right now I'm just beginning, so having a bunch of lenses aren't too important, I think the 18-55 lens would be fine for now, probably for a while. Shooting photos is something I love doing, I just want a more professional camera than a point and shoot.
I think overall I'd probably be happy with it.

And then I look at it again and now I think I'm stuck between the D40 and The XT. I'm really bad at deciding things, lol.

About the kind of photos I shoot, pretty much anything worth photographing. Right now my main subject is my puppy, lol.

This was my D40 last night.

Stock 18-55 lens

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/2196355258_c073c37b1f_b.jpg

zipzoomfly.com has the XT for $470 as well. That's the lowest price I found when I was shopping for one.

Amazon.com has it for 459 and free shipping.

Hm, so now I'm really stuck between the XT and D40....
Does anyone know of a store that would have them both?
I know there's a Wolf Camera nearby, would they have them there?
I wouldn't buy one there though, they have the D40 for $500 something with the same lens.

Circuit City does, Best Buy MIGHT...

Wolf probably does, I know my local ritz does.

I'd try the Wolf camera. They usually have display models for everything with charged batteries that are actually functional, and will let you try out different lenses if you want too. Circuit City and Best Buy and the larger electronic stores, usually the batteries are dead and might not have someone dedicated to that area.

Most reactions

Back