Which Camera???

MrNewMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know this probably gets asked a lot, and may be tiresome... but I quickly browsed through the forum and couldn't find the question being asked surprisingly, so here goes...

Im purchasing a digital camera shortly to do some portraits and out-door photos.... I am looking in the "Nikon D60" range... and found a few options, so this is more or less... a "which camera is better in this price range" question...

1) Nikon D40
2) Nikon D60
3. Canon Rebel XS/XSi
4) Another camera in the same price range...
Etc etc lol...

And if possible, a reason why the camera you suggest would be the better option... thanks ahead of time,

Mr NewMan

I would look at a slightly used d70 or d70s on craiglist, amazon, or b&h. It'll be something that you can grow into and it will be better than the d40/60 it also has a built in af motor which the d40/60 doesnt have.

I would go with the D60 or Rebel from the list given. The D40 has a very limited lens selection that will have autofocus. (AF-S or AF-I).

Between the D60 and the Rebel, I would choose the Rebel simply because it offers a more advanced CMOS sensor whereas the D60 uses an older technology CCD sensor.

I would go to someplace like Best Buy and try them all out. See which one grabs your fancy.

yea go and try them out at best buy or other store as long as you don't buy it there :p. Then just look for the price in B&H or if you WANT to buy at best buy ask for a price match

yea go and try them out at best buy or other store as long as you don't buy it there :p. Then just look for the price in B&H or if you WANT to buy at best buy ask for a price match
Good point, I should have added that. :) I just use Best Buy to test products, I always buy online from a reputable shop.

If you find a website selling a camera well below sites like Amazon, B&H or Adorama, it's likely a scam site. Buy from reputable vendors. If you don't know if a site is a scam or not, ask us before you buy.

None of them. For the cost of a D60 package, a D80 can be had.

The Rebel seems like a great choice... but with the D80 thrown into the mix does it still hold its own?

Are these cameras capable of taking professional photoshoots? I am very educated and skilled (not to blow my own trumpet lol) with Photoshop and Lightroom.... although I am new to the actual "taking" of photos (with all the lighting and such). Would I be able to get some great pro looking shots with either of them?

I would go with the D60 or Rebel from the list given. The D40 has a very limited lens selection that will have autofocus. (AF-S or AF-I).

Between the D60 and the Rebel, I would choose the Rebel simply because it offers a more advanced CMOS sensor whereas the D60 uses an older technology CCD sensor.

I would go to someplace like Best Buy and try them all out. See which one grabs your fancy.

the d60 has the same lens limitations the d40 has

Unsurprisingly I'd add Pentax to the mix. Without looking I am not sure which is closer in price but both the K200D and K20D are VERY solid well performing models that can be had at a price lower than the competition.

On top of that their lens range is superb with a massive range of manual focus lenses fitting straight on and working without a problem. All the autofocus lenses work ( apart from two ULTRA rare ones ) fine and their build quality is superb.

Some people here will argue that they don't do pro kit.. well no this is true but the kit they do produce is very solid dependably kit that easily matches higher priced Nikon and Canon kit.

Don't get me wrong, Canon and Nikon are very very good, but don't leave Pentax out of the equation.

+1 on the D70. (particularly a D70S)

D40/D60 kinda suck. No focus motor, seriously limited focus points, majorly gimped controls and menus, etc. Granted, higher res on the D60. I don't know what the MP is on the D40.

Used D80 might be a viable option these days.

the d60 has the same lens limitations the d40 has
That I didn't know.

I like ANDS! suggestion, get a D80 or a XSi.

The XSi has LiveView, self cleaning sensor, larger LCD screen. The D80 is slightly older than the XSi. I would rather have the XSi than the D80.

I would rather have the D90 than the XSi.

Confusing enough? :mrgreen:

How much money do you want to spend?

The Rebel seems like a great choice... but with the D80 thrown into the mix does it still hold its own?

Are these cameras capable of taking professional photoshoots? I am very educated and skilled (not to blow my own trumpet lol) with Photoshop and Lightroom.... although I am new to the actual "taking" of photos (with all the lighting and such). Would I be able to get some great pro looking shots with either of them?

I'm not completely sure what you mean by this. Are you asking if they are able to take professional pictures or stand up during a photo shoot? A camera is a camera and a photographer is a photographer. They don't in any way correlate all a camera is there to do is capture what the photographer is seeing. If you feel you need a better camera to take better pictures you're probably not going to be the best of photographers. A higher end camera is just there to get out of the way so photographers can take pictures easier. Now if you're asking if they can stand up during a photo shoot they most likely can unless you're out in the pouring rain or something trying to take pictures. I was walking in the mall the other day and I saw one of the photography studios shooting with a d40 and a kit lens. People are paying a lot of money for those pictures and they produce the kind of work they do with the most beginner level nikon you can get.

+1 on the D70. (particularly a D70S)

D40/D60 kinda suck. No focus motor, seriously limited focus points, majorly gimped controls and menus, etc. Granted, higher res on the D60. I don't know what the MP is on the D40.

Used D80 might be a viable option these days.

The d40 is 6 MP and the d40x is 10 MP

Here we go with this again. :)

To some degree, it's about the photographer, but some cameras are more limited than others. The more limited cameras will limit you in certain situations. A better photographer can get more out of even the most limited device, but a newer photographer often won't notice the difference between the most wonderous and the most limited cameras... aside from noting that the more wonderful one is heavier. :)

A more expensive camera will NOT get you better pictures. A more expensive camera is merely less likely to limit your ability to get the better pictures IF you have the necessary skills.

Within reason, you should get the best camera body that is within your budget because it will limit you the least.

There is a bang/buck level that in the Nikon line is the D80/D90. Anything less is really kinda poor. Anything more will definitely be a nicer camera but the difference between a D200/D300 and the D80/D90 is NOTHING compared to the difference between the D80/D90 and the D60. The D60 is a FAR lesser camera.

For most new shooters, the D80/D90 is a perfect price/performance compromise. If you're REALLY super sure you want to do this and you have the extra bucks, hit the D200/D300 level. If there's any way to avoid it, NEVER go below the D90/D80 level.

A better photographer can get more out of even the most limited device, but a newer photographer often won't notice the difference between the most wonderous and the most limited cameras...

Yeah that's true, that's what I was trying to say but I came off a little different.

A more expensive camera will NOT get you better pictures. A more expensive camera is merely less likely to limit your ability to get the better pictures IF you have the necessary skills.

That's all i was trying to say. I do agree that a beginner is going to get the same shots if they use a d40 or a d3.

Most reactions

Back