Which camera?

camera store, not a just a clerk store.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said "clerk." I should have said "salesperson."

Personally, I think that it's useless browsing in a big box store. As you suggested, they have clerks, not sales personnel. You learn very little, if anything, about the camera and they still can't touch web pricing because of the sales tax issue. You get the worst of both worlds.

"Camera feel" is over rated. Unless you have some weird hand deformity that makes the ergonomics of a Canon or Nikon suit you best - all of the dSLR's on the market today are going to fit "nicely".

That's not what you need to be focused on. You need to look at how robust the manufacturers lens and accessories line is: essentially who has the SYSTEM that best suits you. It's no different than shopping for a PC or a MAC (although the differences are not so severe for cameras); one or the other is going to have the suite of tools best suited for you. If you want to go on the cheap, look at Canon. Their products are more ubiquitous as is their used items stash. You would be hard pressed (once you get full tilt into this thing) to want for an item from Canon's side. Nikon is a bit more pricey, but generally (on a technical level) regarded as the "better" camera. This is however like saying who is better: Kobe Bryant or Lebron James - you'd want both if you could, but will settle for either.

Having said that, research if anyone is going to be having any deals or kit specials. You can stretch your dollars this way, as well as getting a complete package out the door.

Nikon is a bit more pricey, but generally (on a technical level) regarded as the "better" camera.
Boy, that's a subjective statement. There are quite a few people on the high end of the spectrum that would disagree with that assessment... folks like the Explorers of Light. They can shoot with anything, and they choose to shoot with Canon.

It boils down to what do you need from your camera? Nikon typically has more bells and whistles like in camera editing, double exposures, and other things many shooters have no need for. If you like lots of choices and plenty of menu options, Nikon certainly has plenty to offer.

If you like no-nonsense simplicity, Canon caters to that crowd. I prefer Canon's method, many prefer Nikons. To say one is superior to the other is kind of off base given the number of people who create outstanding images with both.

It really is a matter of personal preference.

Ahh so many opinions! Lol I should have thought before posting

i wasn't going to open this thread but i'm glad i did. that was such a great response to the first few posts lol.

"Camera feel" is over rated. Unless you have some weird hand deformity that makes the ergonomics of a Canon or Nikon suit you best - all of the dSLR's on the market today are going to fit "nicely".

i'd definitely have to disagree with this though. i have slightly smaller than average hands and i'm completely unable to use Canon dSLRs for more than a few shots. the way i have to position my hand to effectively hold the camera causes a cramp in the back of my hand after a couple minutes. i've talked to quite a few other people that have the same issue with the Canon grip.

the nikon grip however fits my hand nicely. any from the entry level to pro.

i guess if you have average hands or bigger than average any of the standard grip sizes would work. bigger hands would probably have an issue with the nikon entry level.

Boy, that's a subjective statement. There are quite a few people on the high end of the spectrum that would disagree with that assessment... folks like the Explorers of Light. They can shoot with anything, and they choose to shoot with Canon.

Can you find my any TECHNICAL (not subjective) review of both the Canon and the Nikon that rates the Canon above the Nikon. We are not talking about aesthetics and "contrast representation" - we are talking about the pure objective quality of Nikon and the comparable Canon cameras.

Most reactions

Back