which camera

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a dilemma I never expected to have either.... I have a bunch of single purpose cameras to choose from so it makes this weekend's shoot a chore before I even go.
Locally they are having a reenactment of a civil war (no war is civil by the way) engagement. Now I look much more cool taking a semi view camera on a tripod, but it is impossible to get all the details right with so many things going on. Besides nobody can hold still long enough for a paper negative shoot. If I can't get a real antique look why bother right?
So rule out the two view cameras (One horizontal one vertical) setup. Inter the old field cameras. Down to just the Graflex here. But i don't want to lug around film holders even if I do look almost as cool as with the black cloth model.
Okay how about the field cams with the roll film backs. Now those are a possibility. Let's call that option 1. Pain in the butt to reload and a pain in the butt to lug all that 'stuff' around in the hot sun. Make a note take a canteen with water this year, Bourbon dries one out worse, lesson from last year.
Option two, Russian leica knock off. Now that is small, easy to carry, old enough to qualify as vintage if not antique. very good option there.
The modern slrs are not an option since I try to never be seen holding one of those.
The 120 will give me a much better image to work with but is inconvenient. The image from the 35 Russian is almost as good, but wont have the same feel.
See it isn't easy being a retro photographer.

So here is the question what would you do and why?

You know what, I think you should take the view camera. With the paper negatives, you can get shots of the dead soldiers and have very convincing images that look like their from the 1860's. You can have that carte-de-visite look, ESPECIALLY if you make albumen prints. THAT would be awesome.

But otherwise, I'd go with the pseudo-leica becuase it's compact, easier to carry, and you would be more responsive with it.

Or you could knock together a view body with a DSLR hidden inside with the lens sticking out the front.

Seems only fair to have a fake civil war camera at a fake civil war don't you think? BTW I'm Not knocking the reenactments, they are a lot of fun.

mike

Last time I carried it I had to go back home for another one it just wasn't moveable enough. Even with film I couldn't shoot what I wanted. If the area were smaller I would take it and just setup the tripod and toss the block focusing cloth over it. Even if the value is all in the tripod, I hate to leave it laying about.
The old field style I have with the roll film backs are the gap but a ten exposure roll leaves me changing film too often. I can do one other thing. I can fit one of the pioneer cams with a set of 645 curtains but they have only a little more class than the ruski. Not only that the range finder I converted for them is non aligned... Decisions, decisions and me with only two more days, but I do love those old views I get to be part of the show. You know what a boost to the ego it is to be asked about your equipment. What kind of camera is that anyway? But nobody ever says I got to get me one of those.

I made my decission about the reenactment cameras.

I stuck the following cameras into my old canvas tool bag. It's what I sometimes use for a camera case. I used to think it would keep people from recognizing that it was full of cameras. Which might save them from theives. I Rightly or wrongly thought a thief wouldn't steal tools, since tools are for work. If he worked he wouldn't need to steal. Probably wrong thinking.

Anyway.. I loaded about twenty frames of b&w film into the ruski, then about forty frames into my old petri 7s. I noticed only after loading that the shutter speed ring is sticky on the 7s.

Then I loaded a roll of b&w film into each of my ugly charlie MF cameras. Just to be sure I had a working camera, I loaded up one of my field type bellows cameras. For it I'm taking a roll of color neg and a roll of color slide I will have it cross processed.

The camera bag is a bit heavy but I'll just take one of my walking sticks to rest on and push the other photographers out of the way. I must remember the bottle of water. Now if i was a digital shooter i wouldn't have enough image material but for me it is way over kill more than I have every shot at one of these things.

Not sure if anyone care by this time but here's how it went. First of all my advice to younger photographers, whatever it takes DO NOT get old.

I carried five cameras and used them all. I didn't really want to reload cameras while juggling the walking stick. It isn't a cane because I'm not injured just unsteady these days.

So when I arrived they are already in the field, about 80 men, half in each color blue and gray. The yanks had won again, they always seem to. The rebs were prisoners as they marched away under guard. I think I got a couple of shot of them but won't know till I develop the film later today and tomorrow.

But I'm juggling the light meter, the camera case, the ruski 35, and the walking stick, when this humongus cannon goes off. Scared the crap out of me. Yeah I know it was was a play battle, but it was supposed to be over. I guess they had a few pounds of powder they needed to burn.

After that I lugged the camera case, juggled the camera, walking stick, and meter for the next hour. If anything comes out I'm going to be shocked.

If I went out there stumbled around, looked like a drunk for over an hour, and got nothing to show for it, I might just give this up as a hobby and go back to knitting.

Like it or not I'll let you know what happened.

Most reactions

Back