Which camera ??

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m fairly new to photography but I want to make it a big passion of mine and eventually make it as a part-time freelancer. I want to learn with many books and mags.

But first I would like to know which kind of camera should I buy ?

I will visit New-York city twice soon and I would like to take amazing pictures,
I’ve read many threads from the forum but since I don’t know the technical words I can’t understand which kind of digital camera I should buy.

I would like to get suggestions with different budgets.

Knowing that I will eventually produce professional looking pictures, should I get a very simple one now and a more complex later ?

I also would like to take great pictures in black and white

I bought this book The Digital Photography Book, so I can lean the basics first.

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Photog...1888812?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189451596&sr=8-1

Thanks so much for any help and input.

Sirene

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m fairly new to photography but I want to make it a big passion of mine and eventually make it as a part-time freelancer.

If you are sure about making it a big passion start with a Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera. This can be digital or film. You can search this forum for threads that other people have posted, asking this same question.

A SLR will give you the most control over your photographs.

Defintely go with an SLR. I am also new to photography and want to make it a passion of mine. I decided to start with a budget friendly Nikon D40 and see where things go from there. As many people will tell you, a camera is a tool - a professional photographer can take a great picture with just about any camera, it's just that some camera's make it easier for him to do so.

I would suggest finding a camera/photography shop near you and try out some of the cameras for yourself. Most places have friendly, knowledgeable people who are passionate about photography and would love to help you out. Also, good lenses can make a huge difference.

Before any suggestions, how much are looking to spend and have you held any cameras before. Setting a budget and holding and testing testing cameras should give you a better idea of what you are looking for. Aside from that, the two big names in photography are Nikon and Canon, both make great cameras and lenses. Other quality brands to look at would be Pentex, Olympus and Sony, all good brands but not quite of the selection of accessories that Nikon and Canon have.

Wow I think I will stay away from this one but I have to say this is a little offensive to the people who have spent years and years learning to produce "professional looking pictures". I wish it was that easy to just pick up a book and buy the righ camera. But I did say I would stay away from this one.

Hello there.

Well, I am happy that you know you will eventually produce professional-looking pictures... I wish I had your confidence :lol:

For learning photography I would tend to recommend a dSLR if you can afford it, just like I would have previously recommended a film SLR. It's up to you to decide what suits your needs best though. We can all be unpaid salespeople for our favourite companies and cameras but it won't necessarily help you get the right system for you. droy2000 mentioned the companies in the dSLR market, you might want to take a look at each.

To be honest though, if you plan to learn from books, magazines etc, wouldn't it be better to start doing that now, before thinking about what camera to buy? Then after a bit of reading you will have a better idea of what you are looking for in a camera or system.

I was looking into getting the Canon SLR XTi... but the Nikon D40 looks like something people are talking about too. I want to get an dSLR...Might as well go big!

Depends on your budget. Aspirations are great, but reality is the ***** (can I say that here). Do a fair amount of research on the web for your tastes and budget. If you're going to NYC, stop by B&H here. Acutally hold each camera in your hand. I have only dealt with them on the phone, but if you search this site, you will find they are highly recommended and I endorse that sentiment. Their orders come fast and more importantly, well packed. IMO, UPS sucks (can I say that here), but they can't destroy how well B&H packs the parcels.

If you want a good book, there are many, but try "Understanding Exposure" here and "Light: Science and Magic" here .

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sirene,

I would look at http://bhphotovideo.com the D40 is only 500 instead of 650. B&H is a very reliable company. I'm not telling you to buy the D40 but I know how much I paid for mine and noticed the price immediately.

Thanks, What I posted is in canadian money though.

So do you appreciate the D40 ?

I appreciate the D40, it's a great small camera but I quickly out grew it! If I could go back in time I would have started with the D80.

Most reactions

Back