Which Canon DSLR to buy now?

gonFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys!

Been looking around to buy a new canon DSLR camera, with good quality, to replace my old 1000d.

Been searching online and visiting some photography shops. My idea is overall photography and video, mostly landscape, exteriors/gardens and people (family), for someone with just light knowledge of photography (no expert nor professional). Looking for something with superior quality, and much better than the old version 1000d I own.

My budget goes around $2000USD (1500EUR), not much more, with lens included. I believe will be mandatory the Canon lens EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, and then maybe the Canon lens EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, buying both. Although, this last one will be limiting my long distance shots, that today are done with my old 75-300mm. Wouldn't be better to purchase like a new 55-250mm ? Or maybe a sigma 18-300mm?

On camera options been looking around the 70d / 80d / 750d / 760d / 700d

Question: which one to buy? Most complete one? More recent? One place recommended the 700d, other to avoid the 70d because it's an old model, to buy instead the 750d which was a great choice. I like very much the new 80d as being their latest model on this price range and looks to me the most complete one, going to my maximum budget. Obviously if I go to the sigma lens of $700, will have to opt instead for a cheaper camera like the 750d. Would this be a good combination?

Thanks for your help!

I would go with the 760d or 80d(when released). The newer sensor is a marked improvement from the last generation 18/20mp units. The 18-135mm STM is a very versatile, well built lens. If you buy the 550-250mm STM with the body and kit lens, it can be had for $150. A good bargain IMO. Full disclosure........... I own the 760d and love it.

Thanks. I have available to buy here the new 80d with the Lens 18-135mm STM for 1800EUR ($2000USD) while the 70d with the same lens is available to purchase new for 1000EUR ($1100USD), almost half price. The 760d is even lower, saw today one new at the shop for 820EUR ($930USD) with 18-55 lens.

The 760 is a nice option since it has the top LCD and thumb wheel unlike other rebels.

I just upgraded my 700D (T5i) to a 70D. Not a big upgrade I thought. I loved my T5i and love my 70D even more.

Would the 70D be a better choice than a 760d?

The 70d is better built and has better space for the push buttons. Whether one is better than the other is debatable but the newer 760 supposedly has the better sensor. To be fair they are all close in performance. With your budget I'd not get the 80d, it's newer more expensive and slightly better but I don't think it's benefits are relevant for the type of photography you mention.

My choice would be the 70d, but if you can get a chance to actually physically pick each one up beforehand you'll know better what you want.

Hands down Canon 80D, from review I saw it has the best crop sensor in Canon line up better then the one on the 7D II
Its AF is also excellent, it really looks like the best general use APS-C Canon camera.
If I was a Canon guy I would choose it over the 7D II unless I was mainly shooting sports and wildlife.

One of the guys who works at my local camera shop says the new 80D is very nice and that they have been selling a lot of them since they came out. I currently have a 70D and am pretty happy with it as well. I haven't had the opportunity to compare specs between the 70D and 80D so I can't advise if it would be worth spending the extra for the newest model.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

760d has the same sensor.and similar focusing system as the 80d. For the price difference you could get some nice L glass. Unfortunately there is no perfect camera. It truly is personal preference. I really don't think either choice would let you down.

Most reactions

Back