Which color film do you prefer and why? Velvia v Provia and Ektar v Portra v Superia

I know Superia 200 is gone, but Kodak is still making Gold 200, so 200 ISO isn't quite extinct just yet (although I have no idea if Kodak Gold is anywhere near as good as Superia). Portra also comes in 160, which isn't that far off.

KODAK 35mm Consumer Film
KODAK PROFESSIONAL Films

Edit:

Wait a second! I just found this on Fujifilm's website:
Color Negative Films | Fujifilm Global
Are you sure Superia 200 is dead?

Kodak Gold 200 is quite nice as an all-rounder. I find the reds can come out a bit strong sometimes and that it has a slight reddish cast overall. Easy enough to correct with a cyan filter, though. This was taken with Gold 200 (no corrective filter used):

View attachment 48919

I like Ektar 100 when i'm shooting slower film. It's so crisp and smooth. It almost reminds me of digital sometimes.. but still has that film look. For 400 speed, I usually alternate between Fuji 400h and Portra 400, depending on which is more expensive when I buy it.. but I think the 400h scans smoother.

I called my distributor and he said .....it's the 36exp rolls that are gone, the 24exp rolls are still being produced, for now.

Freestyle is still selling superia 200, 36 exp... although it's listed as "import"

I'm not a fan of those "import" films. The emulsion is not very consistent, even though it has the same batch number.

Where do you think Fuji film materials come from???

I like Ektar 100 when i'm shooting slower film. It's so crisp and smooth. It almost reminds me of digital sometimes.. but still has that film look. For 400 speed, I usually alternate between Fuji 400h and Portra 400, depending on which is more expensive when I buy it.. but I think the 400h scans smoother.

Freestyle is still selling superia 200, 36 exp... although it's listed as "import"

I'm not a fan of those "import" films. The emulsion is not very consistent, even though it has the same batch number.

Where do you think Fuji film materials come from???

"Import" means they were not made to sell in the US......why? Standards not as high when making the film. I know this because I have worked in photo stores and sold film for 25 years, talking with reps from Kodak and Fuji about their films. Also, many of those "Import" films sit in shipping containers WAY to long. Heat and humidity are not kind to film.
Later after not selling in the country's meant for that film, US distributors can buy the film on the "gray" market.

Last edited:
If you really want to get picky about film emulsion consistency.....buy a brick of "professional" film. That brick of 10 rolls packaged together means all 10 rolls will have the same emulsion batch number.

As B&H says....
Items marked "USA" are imported and/or distributed by the manufacturer or the manufacturers official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by them. Items marked "Imported" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "Imported" products do not qualify for manufacturers rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself.

now that last sentence is misleading. I am told by my Kodak and Fuji reps over the years never to trust "imported" films for my customers due to the lower quality of the film.

As B&H says....
Items marked "USA" are imported and/or distributed by the manufacturer or the manufacturers official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by them. Items marked "Imported" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "Imported" products do not qualify for manufacturers rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself.

now that last sentence is misleading. I am told by my Kodak and Fuji reps over the years never to trust "imported" films for my customers due to the lower quality of the film.

Urban legend, sorry. You're all but saying Fuji and Kodak knowingly made and sold sub-standard product to unworthy Third World bug eaters while saving the good stuff for their developed world clientele. Both companies made film worldwide under the same conditions. If there was any truth behind what your "reps" told you, wouldn't there be a huge body of complaints sufficient to dissuade B&H from carrying this "junk" film?

Provia. I never liked kodak films, they seem yellow to me, and I hate Velvia's hypr saturated color barf pallet with a passion.

Honestly, I liked the old Sensia the most.

As B&H says....

Urban legend, sorry. You're all but saying Fuji and Kodak knowingly made and sold sub-standard product to unworthy Third World bug eaters while saving the good stuff for their developed world clientele. Both companies made film worldwide under the same conditions. If there was any truth behind what your "reps" told you, wouldn't there be a huge body of complaints sufficient to dissuade B&H from carrying this "junk" film?

Yes.....I have had customers noticed the difference. I have noticed the difference as well......also.....the photo company I work at now does not sell "imported" film to their customers for the reasons I have stated. You can think what you want about "urban legend". I know what is the truth, "imported" film is not the same quality as made for US market.
If it was, then why don't the company's offer a warranty or rebate....???

It is more likely that "grey market" film is of lower quality because it is unclear what the storage conditions were. 8 months in an non-temperature controlled shipping container in the port of Los Angelas and then four weeks in the back of a semi truck to NYC, and before all that who knows where - or even if the film is authentic, repackaged, already expired - yeah, the quality will probably be affected.

And yes, I have seen first hand film that was supposed to be Kodak but clearly was not, once developed the Kodak logo was nowhere to be found - unless Kodak goes by a different name in Russia.

Last edited:
As B&H says....

Yes.....I have had customers noticed the difference. I have noticed the difference as well......also.....the photo company I work at now does not sell "imported" film to their customers for the reasons I have stated. You can think what you want about "urban legend". I know what is the truth, "imported" film is not the same quality as made for US market.
If it was, then why don't the company's offer a warranty or rebate....???

Do you seriously still believe that malarkey? Have a look at the B&H site and tell us how much "imported" Kodak and Fuji film material you see, OK?

Most reactions

Back