Which color film should I buy?

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which color film should I buy? I just bought a FSLR and want to buy some 35mm film. I know almost nothing about film photography, so is there something I should look for or stay away from in film?

i'm a fan of kodak professional ultra color 400 UC

but just to begin, I would go to a photoshop where they sell really cheap stuff. expired film can be cool to work with.

To elaborate more on what Steph said. Different films have different purposes and results. Are you shooting in bright sunlight? Low light at night? Do you like warm colors? Cooler colors? Muted tones? Bright saturation? Are you shooting fast moving objects or people? or will you be shooting still objects with a tripod?

answer is I guess.. "It depends"

Personally, a print film that I like as an all-arounder is Kodak Portra 400VC. (400 being the ISO) If it's a little bright out, I can put on a polarizer or ND filter and it takes the stops down some, but if the light gets a little low I can shoot without the filters. The "VC" stands for 'vibrant color' (I think) so your colors should "pop" a little more with this film. If you prefer a more muted warm tone, then the Portra 400NC (natural color?) might be more your style.

Since you're still learning film, you might want to get some cheap film in the beginning (as sarallyn mentioned) so you don't feel like you're wasting as much money if the shots don't come out like you want.

Last edited:
I'm mostly going to be shooting people and landscapes. I want print film, and I don't want the ISO over 400. I do want a bit of a saturation boost.

400 ISO is your basic type of film

the higher the numbers the more grain and fuzz you will get however it is perfect for low light situations.

the lower the number ex: 100, 200, 400
the tighter the grain and the sharper the image, however more light is needed. Great for outdoors and very sunny days.

I'm mostly going to be shooting people and landscapes. I want print film, and I don't want the ISO over 400. I do want a bit of a saturation boost.

I would give Kodak Portra 160VC or Fuji npc160 a try.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive got a few rolls of that superia 400, its pretty good stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randerson07/sets/72157606083312313/

If you just do some searches on flickr you can get an idea of what a particular film will look like. But keep in mind the scans you see on flickr will all depend on what scanner and settings were used in the process, it will give you a general idea though.

Have a look at my stuff I separate it all by film type
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randerson07/collections/72157606079271802/

Ive got a few rolls of that superia 400, its pretty good stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randerson07/sets/72157606083312313/

If you just do some searches on flickr you can get an idea of what a particular film will look like. But keep in mind the scans you see on flickr will all depend on what scanner and settings were used in the process, it will give you a general idea though.

Have a look at my stuff I separate it all by film type
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randerson07/collections/72157606079271802/

What film scanner are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Hmm, Well I scan at between 1800 and 2400dpi based on how good I think the neg is and how big I might ever want to print it. I let the scanner do medium sharpening, then I adjust contrast, levels, and unsharpmask in photoshop if it needs it. Alot of the ones in my flickr are straight out of the scanner but I couldnt tell you which ones unless I checked the properties to see if they were PS files.

I let the scanner do medium sharpening,

Maybe that's what I should try. I always turn everything off when I scan and do my adjustments after it's scanned.

*sorry to hijack the thread btw*

Most reactions

Back