Puma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

backlightphotoshop.jpg

backlightphotoshopface.jpg

backlightphotoshopfacecrop.jpg

Please let me know which of these would be best. Any other C&C is always welcome :)

Thanks,
-Puma-

I like #2 but I would use lower f stop to blur the background even more.

Technically speaking, you should probably leave negative space on the side of the frame that she's facing (opposite of what you have in your crops) for a standard smiling portrait. As it is in 2 an 3, she's falling out of the frame, which isn't very comfortable to the eye.

Like this?

backlightphotoshopfaceblurred.jpg

-Puma-

Technically speaking, you should probably leave negative space on the side of the frame that she's facing (opposite of what you have in your crops) for a standard smiling portrait. As it is in 2 an 3, she's falling out of the frame, which isn't very comfortable to the eye.

+1, your not supposed to have it look like she's about to walk off the photo.

You mean like this?
backlighttoright.jpg

-Puma-

maybe you could blur out the tree branches? Just a quick question...did you shoot from the ground up? for some reason, she looks like she is looking down? Just wondering....

I vote for #1 since I like the way the clothing relates to the setting

maybe you could blur out the tree branches? Just a quick question...did you shoot from the ground up? for some reason, she looks like she is looking down? Just wondering....

Yes I did shoot from the ground.

-Puma-

I like the first one. The other two her head looks unnatural it looks like when you cropped it her head looks bigger than her body, or bigger than it actually is.

Agree with Happy Hour. I like #1 best.

Although #1 may contravene conventional terms of what is expected in a portrait by haviing the subject enter the frame, I like #1 the best.

There seems to be a continuation of the natural light extending from the upper right of the frame, extending throught the highlighted branch and resting upon the highlights of her hair.

You have some nice bokeh working on the right side of the image and a nice bit of in-focus background on camera left, however IMO there is too much on the left. The elements parallel with her mouth and running to the upper left distracts.

Unfortunately for you, in shots 2 and 3 she has very small shoulders...which makes her head look HUGE! In shot 1 everything is more in perspective because you can see that her should arn't actually tiny...they just look that way in 2 and 3 for some reason (angle probably). Also, you lucked out here because this girl has no chance of the dreaded double chin, but remember with models who do have the double chin...don't shoot from the ground. I'm sure you know this and since you were able to pull it off with this model, you did.

Most reactions

Back