Which digital camera?

Lally0724

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this board, and I have decided to jump into the digital world. I currently have two Canon SLR 35mm cameras and do mostly weddings and family photos. Nothing gets blown up above a 16x20 really. I'm looking at getting the Canon 20D. Is this a good one? I'm a little bit familiar with the digital world, but not really. Would you suggest a different camera, and if so why? Would you go with the lens that comes with the camera, or would you get a different one. Is there anything specific I should look for or ask about when looking for a camera. I don't want to get had by a cheesy salesman who is just wanting o make a buck off of me.
Thanks to anyone who responds with some info,
Lally

Hi lally..welcome to the forums!

first of all let me say that if you do a search for 20D, youll probably find a boatload more info about that camera than you ever wanted. secondly, there are several 20D owners here and im sure they will be around shortly!

thanks and welcome!

md

Welcome to the forum.

The 20D is certainly one of the best Digital SLR cameras under $2000. You should be able to get very good prints up to 16x20 with proper technique.

What cameras do you currently use? Do you use EOS autofocus cameras or older Canon models like the AE-1. The autofocus 'EF' lenses will work on the 20D while manual focus 'FD' lenses will not.

If you do use EOS cameras, what models do you use? If you use basic models like any of the 'EOS Rebel' models...the Digital Rebel XT may be a good option for you. It's cheaper than the 20D and has great image quality but is lacking some of the advanced features and robust build quality of the more expensive models. It is much smaller and lighter than most DSLRs, that might be an advantage or a liability for you...you will have to feel it in your hands to really tell for yourself.

If you use something like an ELAN or EOS 5, 3, or 1 series. The 20D will probably be more suited to you. They say that once you use the thumb wheel, you won't want to go without...and none of the Rebel cameras have that. Also, I've heard that a lot of the adjustments are menu based on the digital rebels. This would make it harder to make changes on the fly...like you might do at a wedding. If the additional features and build quality of the 20D are worth the extra cost over the XT (to you), then you can't go wrong with the 20D.

The kit lenses are not the best quality lenses...but for about $100, I think it's a good deal.

My friend has a 20D within his vast collection. I might suggest a different camera, maybe a Kodak, since you mentioned you're up to the digital world. (Neither is Kodak. XP)

I'm a Nikon guy but the Canon EOS 20D from what I've read is the cat's meow. But, like all technology, it will be obsolete in a short while. Kind of like computers...

You can't lose on choosing a 20D for a digital slr. As said, this camera is the cats meow. You asked about the kit lens? Yes , get it! For the $100.00 bucks it's worth it is a great lens. You can't use it on anything else but that shouldn't be an issue. I have a kit lens with my 300D and use it often for it's wide angle abilities.

Most reactions

Back