Which DSLR camera is right for you? part 1

priceangels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
At the time of writing this post there are a large range of DSLRs currently on the market (with a fresh batch of them set to be announced in the new year).
I’m a Canon user so my recommendations will reflect this below. Here are three that you might like to consider.
canon-eos-400d-1-tm.jpg

Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) – I had the opportunity to play with this camera last week for a day and while I was a little skeptical at first as it’s fairly much an entry level DSLR I came away from testing it quite impressed. It has a 10.1 megapixel sensor, 2.5 inch LCD and all the features you’ll need to switch into manual (and semi manual) modes. It is a camera with a lighter feel than the 30D (below) which will leave some feeling as though it might be a little light on – however this adds to it’s portability.
This is a good camera if you’re a little nervous about stepping out of point and shoot land and want something that is easy to use.

best-digital-camera.jpg

Canon EOS 30D – if there’s one DSLR that I’ve recommended more than any other it is the 30D. I’ve owned it’s predecessor for a few years now (the 20D) and have loved it but the 30D has a few nice extra features that make it worth the upgrade. The 30D is has an 8.2 megapixel sensor and nice large 2.5 inch LCD as well as an array of other features that give you plenty of opportunity to explore your photographic ability (as well as a good Auto mode for when you hand it over to a digital camera novice). This is a more serious camera than the 400D (it’s more solid in your hands too) but it is very user friendly also.

Canon-EOS-5D-tm.jpg

Canon EOS 5D- this camera will be out of reach of most of us (although I’m saving up) but I wanted to include it as it’s the best camera I’ve had the privilege of testing so far (in fact I’ve had it for the last 3 weeks and I just don’t want to send it back).

The 5D is not at the very top of the Canon DSLR range but it is not cheap and is aimed at the higher end amateur digital photographer who knows what they are doing. It doesn’t have a built in flash and there are no semi-auto modes on the dial (at this level you wouldn’t need them). It has a 12.8MP full frame sensor, 2.5 inch LCD, weighty magnesium body and a list of features longer than my arm.

If you are interested in this topic, please see part2 tomorrow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back