Which DSLR camera would you recommend for a beginner

amandamahoney123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have only used point and shoot cameras so I do not have any real experience whatsoever. I want to get a DSLR camera that is less than $600 and I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D3100 and the Canon EOS Rebel T2i. Which one would you guys recommend?

Nikon D3100.
Do you already have lenses? I'm not sure the camera with kit lenses will be under $600

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I am not planning on buying any lenses and will just stick with the one that comes with the camera. I can get the Nikon for $499 plus tax or the Canon for $599 plus tax. Is spending the extra $100 for the Canon worth it?

CANON T2I! and get a 50mm 1.8 lens. trust me. Video quality is amazing too

I have the D3100 and love it. Check the trade section of this forum. People are constantly upgrading

I am not planning on buying any lenses and will just stick with the one that comes with the camera. I can get the Nikon for $499 plus tax or the Canon for $599 plus tax. Is spending the extra $100 for the Canon worth it?

That's a question that only you can answer fairly. There have been thousands of arguments on Canon vs. Nikon (I don't know anything about the Canon). Leave yourself the ability for new lenses. You will quickly outgrow most kit lenses that will come with a camera. It may not seem like you need it now but if you stick with photography, you will.

My vote goes to the D3100 for these typical nice Nikon features like color dependent metering and better integrated flash of Nikon cameras. But you'll probably be happy with either of these models.

I would recomment that you get the 18-105mm zoom, not the 18-55mm, if you get the D3100. The 18-105mm is still as good optical quality as the 18-55mm, but has a bit more build quality (no f** up manual focus) and has a more practical zoom range.

Use your smartphone and practice composition and save for the good stuff
icononethumbup.gif

Most reactions

Back