Which DSLR to buy?

rave_gaurav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I have to gift a DSLR to my friend - he is a newbie with DSLR.

Which one should I buy - Nikon or Cannon and which model?

I own a Nikon 3200 with 18-55 lens - guess this is outdated hence thought seeking advice from the experts.

Please suggest.

Regards
Gaurav

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Nikon D3200 is outdated ?
No its not!
My advice is get him a D3300 or D5300

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response. I would probably stick with Nikon D5200.
Any suggestions on the lens? 18-55 kit lens or 55-200 VR or something else?

Well, that depends upon what exactly you think the term "outdated" means ?

For theres a newer model, yes. But there are only small changes between the D3200 and D3300, though. Still 24 Megapixel, still same sensor, etc etc etc. No important new feature, like WiFi, or touchscreen, or 4K, or anything like that.

If you go Canon or Nikon - that is really best descided by going to a shop and checking the different camera models out. Hold them in the hand. Some like Canon ergonomics better, some prefer Nikon.

In general Canon and Nikon are market leaders and are always neck on neck on who does stuff better.

Right now Nikon entry level DSLRs are usually considered slightly in the advantage over Canons. They get better sensors, at least the D5x00 line - the D3x00 line always gets the cheapest of the cheapest, including the sensor. The D5200 from Nikon got the better autofocus (the D5100 still had the same autofocus the D3300 is still using), the D5300 got WiFi and GPS, the D5500 got a touchscreen and dropped GPS again (which is a battery hog).

Canon has the 100D, the smallest DSLR of them all (the entry level cameras from Canon get for some reasons a different name for Japan or USA specifically, so look those names up on Wikipedia if you're living there), which some people feel is very important (others feel larger cameras feel better in the hands anyway). Also Canon has an affordable high quality wide angle zoom - something that Nikon sadly lacks (EF 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS). Nikon wide angle zooms are somewhat disappointing in quality and painfully expensive, not far from the full frame offers; one of the reasons why I switched to full frame DSLRs instead was exactly this gap.

So, as you see, its not an easy descision.

If you would absolutely force me to tell you what you should get - Nikon D5200 with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC.

The D5200 because its right now a bargain and the Tamron because brighter glas makes SUCH a big difference.

Well, that depends upon what exactly you think the term "outdated" means ?

For theres a newer model, yes. But there are only small changes between the D3200 and D3300, though. Still 24 Megapixel, still same sensor, etc etc etc. No important new feature, like WiFi, or touchscreen, or 4K, or anything like that.

If you go Canon or Nikon - that is really best descided by going to a shop and checking the different camera models out. Hold them in the hand. Some like Canon ergonomics better, some prefer Nikon.

In general Canon and Nikon are market leaders and are always neck on neck on who does stuff better.

Right now Nikon entry level DSLRs are usually considered slightly in the advantage over Canons. They get better sensors, at least the D5x00 line - the D3x00 line always gets the cheapest of the cheapest, including the sensor. The D5200 from Nikon got the better autofocus (the D5100 still had the same autofocus the D3300 is still using), the D5300 got WiFi and GPS, the D5500 got a touchscreen and dropped GPS again (which is a battery hog).

Canon has the 100D, the smallest DSLR of them all (the entry level cameras from Canon get for some reasons a different name for Japan or USA specifically, so look those names up on Wikipedia if you're living there), which some people feel is very important (others feel larger cameras feel better in the hands anyway). Also Canon has an affordable high quality wide angle zoom - something that Nikon sadly lacks (EF 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS). Nikon wide angle zooms are somewhat disappointing in quality and painfully expensive, not far from the full frame offers; one of the reasons why I switched to full frame DSLRs instead was exactly this gap.

So, as you see, its not an easy descision.

If you would absolutely force me to tell you what you should get - Nikon D5200 with Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC.

The D5200 because its right now a bargain and the Tamron because brighter glas makes SUCH a big difference.
Thank u so much for the detailed answer...

Most reactions

Back