Which DSLR to Get?

usayit... honestly I did forget ;) When I think dSLRs I tend to think of "classic" optics/camera companies... Canon Nikon Olympus Pentax and Minolta(Sony)... I respect Sigma as an optics company too, but I do keep forgetting they make cameras (they're not too prolific in that area). Part of the problem is that I've never actually seen a Sigma dSLR in use or in a shop... I've only ever seen them on the internet. No offence was intended to any Sigma owners who may be hiding around the forum ;)

As a former sigma owner, I would say stay away from them... Decent camera but not on par with the same types from the big two. The thing I found most frustrating with it was the autofocus was so bad I used to put it on manual all the time.

There are currently five "which dSLR" posts on Page 1 of this part of the forum (not counting ones in the Beyond the Basics, Equipment or Digital sections)... I'm sure you will find suitable answers in any of them :wink:

If you don't want to read all those threads, here's a brief summary of what will happen in each one...
  • Nikon users say buy Nikon (or Canon if you're mad).
  • Canon users say buy Canon (or Nikon if you're mad).
  • Pentax users say hey take a look at Pentax too.
  • Sony users say yes but look at this Sony as well.
  • Olympus users say don't forget to look at Olympus.
  • Someone says remember it's all about the lenses.
  • Someone else says ah but the camera is really important too.
  • Someone points out camera A can't do this but camera B can do that.
  • Someone else says hey, but camera B can't do this and camera C can.
  • The thread eventually dies, having already been replaced by two or three identical ones.
  • Meanwhile the marketing departments of all the camera companies put their feet up and relax since we're doing all their work for them.
;)
great post! That is how i feel every time i read a thread about someone asking about cameras.

A camera is a box with a hole in it.

(that'll get 'em going)

This is true of film cameras, a box that holds film to hang a lens on. Digital is a little different. DSLR's are more computer than camera. It's sort of like arguing Mac/Windowz, but adding the whole Intel/AMD/bygone Motorola thing. Not really the same discussion anymore.

great post! That is how i feel every time i read a thread about someone asking about cameras.

Oh so true, but we all wanted help with our first DSLR. Except when I got my first, nobody had one yet that would talk to you. Other than the AP and the military, not many had one back then.

Oh so true, but we all wanted help with our first DSLR.

Some of us actually went out and read reviews, looked at other threads and built our opinions from there, and then clear up any questions by posting a more detailed question. We don't all go out making new threads saying "I'm buying a DSLR, I'm too lazy to research, tell me what to buy".... :meh:

Some of us actually went out and read reviews, looked at other threads and built our opinions from there, and then clear up any questions by posting a more detailed question. We don't all go out making new threads saying "I'm buying a DSLR, I'm too lazy to research, tell me what to buy".... :meh:

I posted my reply in the way I did attempting to give some a different perspective. When I bought my first DSLR as I mentioned, it was almost unheard of for a non corporate or government funded free lance photographer to own a DSLR. High end studio photographers were playing with them, but at 2 1/2 M.P. they were very limited. This was in 1999 and the camera was a Nikon D1. There was NO real online sources available for shooters in my position.
When I first started messing with computers, the internet was only available for university research and military use. Our first computer used cassette tape for data storage and only had 16 K of ram when maxed out.

Now move forward 8+ years and photography is vastly different. We not only have the internet to do said research, but a whole slew of forums to ask for advice on. If we see a post that seems redundant to us and we see it as aggravating, pass it over. If there are no answers then so be it. Or better yet, provide a link to assist the poster find what he/she needs in previous posts. The reasons for the post can be many, from laziness to lack of time or they just wishe to confirm an opinion.

In my case, I had no option but to set out on my own and do months of research on products that didn't exist yet. (and we all know how trustworthy manufacturers are when hyping yet to be released products) Today we all have options, so try to use them.

I have been doing research, but somehow I always end up contradicting myself and can never come to a complete decision, lol.

And everybody knows macs are better :p

There are currently five "which dSLR" posts on Page 1 of this part of the forum (not counting ones in the Beyond the Basics, Equipment or Digital sections)... I'm sure you will find suitable answers in any of them :wink:

If you don't want to read all those threads, here's a brief summary of what will happen in each one...
  • The thread eventually dies, having already been replaced by two or three identical ones.
  • Meanwhile the marketing departments of all the camera companies put their feet up and relax since we're doing all their work for them.
;)

I vote this as POST of the year, STICKY THIS!! rofl. . .

My camera I do find limiting, but more-so that its hard to find good shots.

Do you mean that it is hard to find shots that the camera can handle, or that you are having problems finding inspiration?

If the camera is the problem, you may want to determine what kind of photographs you want to take.

I recently purchased my first DSLR and let me tell you my process for determining which model to pick.

You have to determine your budget. This will guide all of your future decisions.

Make sure that when you calculate your budget that you account for the fact that there will be things you will want or need that you don't know about right now.

Here are a few things:

UV Filters / Possibly a Polarizer Filter (remember that if you have different lens sizes, you will need different filters)

Flash

Tripod (not a cheap one)

Camera Bag to carry all your new gear

Lens

You also need to determine what type of photography you want to concentrate on at first. If you want to shoot a lot of landscapes or nature, you will need one type of lens. Portraits require other types of lens. (This may be argued amongst other, more learned folks on here about specific lens for specific purposes)

This is not meant to limit you, since the entire purpose of a DSLR is the ability to add lenses and therefore add abilities to the camera.

Once you get this kind of idea, visit a camera store or several. Find one that has a knowledgeable staff that is open to helping you look at and recommend equipment that you trust.

Go in and talk with them and if they are busy, maybe even ask when is the slow time, so you can come in and have time to look around and play.

Finally I will tell you my experience. I was choosing between a Nikon and Canon. One friend said Nikon, another said Canon (see earlier responses about asking for opinions)

I picked up the two and purely based on my personal thoughts and feelings when I held the cameras, I chose a Nikon. It was completely psychological because I knew the limitations of the Nikon, but I liked how it felt better in my hand.

I hope this helps.

Do you mean that it is hard to find shots that the camera can handle, or that you are having problems finding inspiration?

If the camera is the problem, you may want to determine what kind of photographs you want to take.

I recently purchased my first DSLR and let me tell you my process for determining which model to pick.

You have to determine your budget. This will guide all of your future decisions.

Make sure that when you calculate your budget that you account for the fact that there will be things you will want or need that you don't know about right now.

Here are a few things:

UV Filters / Possibly a Polarizer Filter (remember that if you have different lens sizes, you will need different filters)

Flash

Tripod (not a cheap one)

Camera Bag to carry all your new gear

Lens

You also need to determine what type of photography you want to concentrate on at first. If you want to shoot a lot of landscapes or nature, you will need one type of lens. Portraits require other types of lens. (This may be argued amongst other, more learned folks on here about specific lens for specific purposes)

This is not meant to limit you, since the entire purpose of a DSLR is the ability to add lenses and therefore add abilities to the camera.

Once you get this kind of idea, visit a camera store or several. Find one that has a knowledgeable staff that is open to helping you look at and recommend equipment that you trust.

Go in and talk with them and if they are busy, maybe even ask when is the slow time, so you can come in and have time to look around and play.

Finally I will tell you my experience. I was choosing between a Nikon and Canon. One friend said Nikon, another said Canon (see earlier responses about asking for opinions)

I picked up the two and purely based on my personal thoughts and feelings when I held the cameras, I chose a Nikon. It was completely psychological because I knew the limitations of the Nikon, but I liked how it felt better in my hand.

I hope this helps./QUOTE]

It's hard to find good shots period. I know there are probably tons that I can get, but few that I would like, or even think of.

I would say if you're having trouble finding shots period stick with what you have the dSLR doesn't make you any better at seeing things. It is nice to use a little point and shoot and just taking pictures of whatever it is that is lying around (pens paper parking tickets cameras... whatever) and try to compose the picture in such a way that you get a new appreciation for the object. Once you get there and see the perspective that makes the object interesting but realize that your camera CAN'T take the picture then it is time to upgrade to a dSLR. Just my opinion of course.

;)

You got that DOWN! :lol:

Most reactions

Back