which film camera do u have?

Musicforever said:
What r the pros and cons of film cameras? Whats good for beginners

I'm assuming you mean what's the difference from one film camera to the next and which would be good to get. Film vs. digital is a different 38-page thread...

Many film cameras would be suitable, I think it would make sense to choose one for which a wide variety of lenses are presently available so that you can expand as you get into it. I would also make sure it is one that has manual controls as opposed to one designed for AE shooting, you'll want to be able to easily control everything. Therefore, stay away from something like a Nikon EM or Pentax Super Program IMO. Prices are so ridiculously low that it's about as cheap to get what was a relatively high-end body in its day as it is to get a piece of junk. So something like a Nikon FE or FE2 or equivalent from another manufacturer would be an ideal place to start IMO, and should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 with a 50mm lens.

Dave

Well, these are amongst those I own or have owned. These make great beginner to Intermediate Cameras.

Sears KS Super and the KSX. (These were Ricohs badged as Sears Cams. Very nice with features like AE Lock, Multi exposure, timers, titanium shutters and K-mount lenses. I am a K-mount fanatic. The most versatile mount ever made aside from screw-mounts. Several different brands used them)

Ricoh KR's (SE, X) Really nice and rugged camera that had all the features listed above for the Sears. I love Ricohs!

Pentax ME, ME Super. K-mount lenses. Multi Exposure feature, nice bright digital displays and small. Proven performers.

Pentax P3, P3n-this is as idiot proof as one can get in an 35mm SLR yet it offered advanced features for those seeking a bit more. These had Auto-ISO for goof proof film settings, AE, K- Mount lenses, Timer, small footprint and a separate, dedicated on-off switch on the camera

Pentax K1000-the simplest, basic beginner 35mm SLR you could get. You can actually get real ambituous with these. I took a photography class in the late 70's, early 80's and these were the cameras the college gave/taught the beginners on. I recently found one in a Trade It Store with a 50mm Lense, Vivitar Thyristor Flash and case for $10.00

Nikon FM's- Another popular camera used/recommended in Photography Classes back in the day. Had all the standard Nikon goodies and reputation but not the price tag of an F3 or F4.

The Good Stuff! ;)

Petri 2.8 Rangefinder, and a kit TLR 35mm.

Minolta Hi-matic 7s rangefinder, Minolta SRT 201 (donated to a youth program), Nikon F90 (on loan to my youngest son), Nikon N90s. The Nikons were purchased within the past three years. Film makes me slow down and think about what I'm doing.

Yashica FX-3 super 2000.... Really like that one. Simple. Fully manual and and fully mechanical. LR44 batteries for light meter. Shatter sounds great and I got 50mm and 70-200mm Yashica lenses. Pleased with both.

Yashica Electro 35 GSN ... Pure magic... 45mm f1.7 mm very sharp and great lens. Aperture priority. Fixed the POD (pad of death), common electro problem, myself, and it was PITA, but so so so worth it.

Cannon Sure Shot Classic 120... Fully unmanual P&S... It's all right.

I have Russian rangefinder FED 5 and 5B, and Lomo Compact, check out the prices on ebay, i guess it's pretty affordable price for Fed and other Russian rangefinders as well as SLRs. I moved back to film from digital latest months, and find it very attractive, you can really feel the colors and patterns ( b&w) and it is different, I catched myself that I could differ the film and digital on flick for example. Some discomfort when you gotta wait until get the result from lab, but it makes photo process even more magical.

What r the pros and cons of film cameras? Whats good for beginners

I used a Pentax K1000 when I was learning film, it's a solid camera. The k1000 is a manual camera, no auto. If you go with a pentax, you can still use your lenses on a DSLR if you decide to go digital in the future.

A film camera might be a cheaper set up, developing yourself is fairly reasonable, but processing through a lab can get expensive. A drawback is that you can not instantly preview your shot, this makes learning a little tougher but I do think film helps you slow down and think about what you are shooting. After all, every frame cost $$. Keep a note book in your camera bag, record your iso, fstop and shutter speed, this will help you analyse your shots afterwards.

I learned on a Canon F1 but I am a nikon guy so I invested in an F5 (I know big step) and I have a holga for playing around

2 Nikon F100's (Main camera for snapshots/film tests/day adventures/whatever the Mamiya is too big or too slow for)

Mamiya 645 AFD (Main camera for shooting people, seriously. Like at a wedding)

Nikon FE (My first Real camera, will never sell it. It's got a broken door)

Pentax MG (not a very good camera, the lens is worse (50mm f/1.4M). I actually hate this camera..alot. The only reason I have it is because it was given to me)

Shoot some Fuji 400h or Kodak Ektar 100 at half box speed, send it to RPL, and you'll wonder why anyone shoots digital.

Sw1tchFX said:
not a very good camera, the lens is worse (50mm f/1.4M).

? I have a Pentax 50/1.4 and find it to be excellent, as with all my Pentax lenses. My 50 is a K but I have a 200/4M that is also excellent. I would put then against my Nikon lenses any day. Not to take things on a tangent...

Not a chance, at F/1.4 it's like there is Vaseline on the lens there is so much coma.

Nikon FE (My first Real camera, will never sell it. It's got a broken door)

If you mean the film door, it's easy to replace and is the same part used on the FM/FM2/FE2.

I currently use fifteen cameras of various makes and types. My film cameras are:

- Minolta Maxxum 700si SLR
- Minolta Maxxum 700si SLR (b)
- Canon AT-1 35mm SLR
- Canon Canonet 28 35mm rangefinder
- Kodak Duaflex I TLR
- Kodak Brownie Flash Six-20
- Kodak Autographic 1A
- Kodak Brownie Target Six-16
- FED 2 (D6) 35mm rangefinder
- Zorki-4 35mm rangefinder
- Yashica Electro 35 GSN 35mm rangefinder

and I also shoot with these digital cameras:

- Sony Alpha A550 DSLR
- Sony Alpha A500 DSLR
- Sony Alpha A200 DSLR
- Sony Cybershot DSC-H50

For a beginner I would highly recommend the Yashica Electro 35 GSN rangefinder, which another member has already (correctly) referred to as "pure magic". A truly world-class aperture priority camera with an unbelievably sharp, fast lens that produces incredible colour/contrast. This amazing camera is commonly sold for well under $100 in great condition. Runners up would be the Canon AT-1/AE-1, any of the Minolta Maxxum series of SLR's, and if you want to try your hand with a meterless camera, the Zorki-4 and FED 2 Soviet-era rangefinders are an excellent choice, and they too can be found in pristine condition for under $100.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back