Which film do you use?

- Image Distortion - because of my photographing a flat drawing from a center point, I am assuming that this will cause distorsion of the resultant photo image. I have googled and seen several different softwares that claim to correct distorsions like this. But it is unclear to me what I should do to to ensure I can accurately correct those distorsions or what type of software might be best.
Engineering drawings virtually ALWAYS have a border around the drawing area. That border is perfect for aligning distortion correction software. If for some reason there isn't one there just put some blue painter's tape on the cover over the drawings and use the lines for correction.

Most good image editing software (and even some of the not so good) have tools to correct for barrel distortion, pincushion distortion, and keystone distortion. Some of the better software can compensate for some really serious distortion. When you take your shots leave some area around the drawing. Most distortion corrections will use some of the image area and you'll need to have room to crop. After doing it a few times you'll have all the settings down pat, and they won't change much from drawing to drawing.

Shoot from as high above the drawings as you can get and with the longest focal length that will work. As focal length gets shorter distortion gets worse (think of how fisheye lenses work).

I like Kodak for both colour negative and B&W. I prefer Agfa for colour transparency. These are the films I regularly use (and keep a supply of in the cellar):

Kodak

Ektar, DIN 21

Farbwelt, DIN 24
Farbwelt, DIN 27 (this is probably my favourite film)

BW400CN (some people knock the C-41 B&W films but this is a good 'un in my opinion)
T-Max, DIN 21
T-Max, DIN 27

Agfa

Precisa (colour transparency), DIN 21

--------

I also occasionally use Agfa Vista colour negative (DIN 24) and Fuji Superia Xtra (DIN 27 & DIN 30).

Fred Berg said:
I like Kodak for both colour negative and B&W. I prefer Agfa for colour transparency. These are the films I regularly use (and keep a supply of in the cellar):

Kodak

Ektar, DIN 21

Farbwelt, DIN 24

BW400CN (some people knock the C-41 B&W films but this is a good 'un in my opinion)
T-Max, DIN 21
T-Max, DIN 27

Agfa

--------

I also occasionally use Agfa Vista colour negative (DIN 24) and Fuji Superia Xtra (DIN 27 & DIN 30).

Is Farbwelt a film maker or is it like Arista made by Kodak ?

Kodak

Ektar, DIN 21

Farbwelt, DIN 24

T-Max, DIN 21
T-Max, DIN 27

Agfa

--------

I AGREE Fred, I always have liked the BW400CN. It was the last B&W film I shot, and I thought it did a fine job, PLUS it was so easy to have it lab processed without paying an arm and a leg for custom B&W film developing.

Fred Berg said:

Kodak

Ektar, DIN 21

Farbwelt, DIN 24

T-Max, DIN 21
T-Max, DIN 27

Agfa

--------

Is Farbwelt a film maker or is it like Arista made by Kodak ?

Farbwelt is a Kodak film made for the German and Austrian market. Whether it's marketed under another name in different regions I don't know, but it could be something like UltraMax.

I use Ilford for all my Black and White, Kodak and Agfa for the color. I had been rolling my own B&W 35mm film for years, then got into digital and now my son wants to learn to shot and develop.

I have all sorts of old film in my fridge I am slowly getting through. Mostly Kodak Professional Supra and Ektachrome E100. Today I brought some nice fresh Kodak Ektar after having read so many good reviews on it. Cannot wait to give it a try. I love shooting film, when I get exposure bang on it beats my EOS DSLR hands down.

I settled on Ilford FP4 Plus several years ago. I develop it with Caffenol C-L.

Caffenol? Meaning you develop your film in coffee? How does that work? Do you have pictures?

In a liter of water add:
40 g Instant Coffee
16 g Washing Soda
10 g Vit. C
1.5 g Potassium Bromide (Kbr)

Then at 20° C:
Presoak for
5 min.
Agitate for 1 min then let stand without agitation for 70 min.
Stop, fix, and wash as usual.

Sorry, can't show you any examples. No scanner, no digital camera, totally film.

Search for Caffenol on flickr, you'll see .. a lot of images. It seems to work fine. The artist runs the risk of falling down the "process is more important than results" hole, but that pretty much describes all of flickr, as well.

I've been using Ektar 100, Neopan 100 b&w in 120 and fuji velvia 50 in 135. I really like the look of the Ektar. I just bought some tri-x 400 120 film so I'll be trying that next to compare to the Neopan...

Right now I'm using Fuji Superia 200. I have used Kodak Ektar 100 and wasn't happy too much with it, I also used Fuji 400h Pro, and that was very nice film, really loved it, and will buy it again.

Most reactions

Back