Which filter?

Philly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have just bought a DSLR with the lens: Canon EF28-135mm f3.5-5.6 (72mm). I have picked up that I think I need to get a UV filter to protect it from scratches etc, but which one? Buying the filter seems more confusing than buying the lens! Is buying Canon filters better than buying a filter from say Hoya? If Hoya, which one of their UV filters?

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

.. just some general answer:

some cheaper UV filters might increase the risk of reflections/flares under extreme light conditions. Therefreo I usually don't go for the cheapest. also the coating palys a role, as you don't want it to scratch easily.

I might be wrong, but I think canon is not particularly known for producing superb filters, but I think they are OK-ish. I myself use two canon and on hoya UV filter for my cheaper lenses.

B+W is a good brand which I have good experience with.

I just bought some Tiffen UV filters. They seem to be working well.
My rule of thumb for buying filters is aim down the middle. I can't afford to dish out the top $$$, but the cheaper stuff is just that - cheap.

hmm, yes, i see your predicament. but you need not worry, your lens will be fine with out a filter to protect it, and is by far better with out it. only use the filter for their specific purposes and never keep them on your lens. for if you were to keep the filter on to protect it, it would do nothing but damage the internal workings of your lens and your camera. because all filters focus the light so intensely, the light itself degrades anything its focused on, even glass. the only filters that do not do this are usually ones ranging above 100 dollers. but it is far better to buy those than buy a new camera and lenses, yes? many do not know of these problems but it has been proven time and time agian, so beware young one.

I've found it much cheaper to replace a scratched UV filter than a scratched lens.

And filters do not 'focus' light. In fact, all filters reduce the light reaching the lens. They do not intensify it.

Torus34 said:
I've found it much cheaper to replace a scratched UV filter than a scratched lens.

true in many cases ... but if you put a 110 USD filter on a 150 USD lens, things get more even and one could question the need of that filter for protection.

I have UV filters on all my lenses for more than 10 years now, and never scratched any of the filters ... so I would also have never scratched any of my lenses! ;)

I believe I would go with a polarizer instead. I almost never take mine off. It's almost a must have filter.
Cosmo

Highjacking Phil's thread...haha, a few related questions for you all!

1/ Is it normal to have a poliarizer on all the time?

I have just recently gotten a camera and lens and have yet to buy a filter. I was going to buy a uv and a circular polarizer.

2/ Do filters screw ontop of each other? ie do I put the polarizer ontop of the uv, or do I remove the uv first?

3/ Does the lenscap still go on nicely or do I have to remove whatever filter I have on, then put the lenscap back on?

Thanks! :D

1: Not as far as I can tell. Most people have a UV filter on all the time.
2: My Tiffen filters have a thread for other filters to screw into so I waould guess that's the same for most brands.
3: Your lensecap should work just fine with whatever filter you have attached.

Torus34 said:

And filters do not 'focus' light. In fact, all filters reduce the light reaching the lens. They do not intensify it.

You are wrong you ninny.

Thanks for all your comments, looks like I stirred up a hornets nest. My lens costs about £300 so I guess putting on a £40-50 filter would be about right and protect my investment. I take the point that it probably isn't worth paying £50 for a filter to place over the top of the kit lens.

Thanks again.

Phil

Innocence said:
Highjacking Phil's thread...haha, a few related questions for you all!

1/ Is it normal to have a poliarizer on all the time?

I have just recently gotten a camera and lens and have yet to buy a filter. I was going to buy a uv and a circular polarizer.

2/ Do filters screw ontop of each other? ie do I put the polarizer ontop of the uv, or do I remove the uv first?

3/ Does the lenscap still go on nicely or do I have to remove whatever filter I have on, then put the lenscap back on?

Thanks! :D
No,it's not normal to leave it on all of the time. But for most outside work in the sunlight it helps a bunch, and it is probably the most used filter by most photographers. Think of is as sunglasses for your camera. Go outside and look at the skies with a pair of good polarized sungalsses. A polarizer makes for some beautiful blue skies and knocks out tons of unwanted glare. No never stack filters, it will cause dark spots on the edge of your pictures. And since I am always putting on the polarizer I would constantly be taking the uv off. So why not use the lens cover for protection not a filter. And yes the lens cap will fit the filter. For more help, check this guys site out. He is one good photographer. It's worth a look...
http://www.barbeephoto.com/articles/filters_june_06/filters_ND_POL_GND.htm

Thanks everyone, but one more question. I have read that polarizers are used to reduce glare of water and glass, I'm assuming they would also be good for shooting in snow? What if any special adjustments will I need to make or can I just let the camera take over?

Cheers,

Phil

Snively Dowrong said:
hmm, yes, i see your predicament. but you need not worry, your lens will be fine with out a filter to protect it, and is by far better with out it. only use the filter for their specific purposes and never keep them on your lens. for if you were to keep the filter on to protect it, it would do nothing but damage the internal workings of your lens and your camera. because all filters focus the light so intensely, the light itself degrades anything its focused on, even glass. the only filters that do not do this are usually ones ranging above 100 dollers. but it is far better to buy those than buy a new camera and lenses, yes? many do not know of these problems but it has been proven time and time agian, so beware young one.
You couldn't give us a link that verfies your statement, because I think it sounds pretty interesting...?

Most reactions

Back