Which flash it right for me?

JeremyD

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in need to buy a flash, this is my first flash and I would generally use it for sport photography when its on a stand. But as well for everyday use. I was looking into the canon 430ex II however it is a bit pricey. I was wondering if the YN-560 with some wireless receivers would be just as effective for the use I am using the flash for. If you have any suggestions for a good flash in a good price range let me know! Thanks for viewing and have a good day.

What sports? What distances? What is your budget? The Yongnuo would work fine for some things... but need to know more on what you are trying to do!

I saw once where a photographer (I think it was Joe McNally) lit up an entire football stadium with some large strobe unit... but even he admitted that was a bit excessive.

Are you familiar with the Inverse Square Law? What sport(s) will you be shooting?

Light power changes as a square function relative to distance.
In other words if the subject distance from the light source increases 2x, the amount of light power that reaches the subject is 2x2 or 4 times less.
if the subject moves x closer to the light source, the amount of light power that reaches the subject is 2x2 or 4 times more.

So, you need more light for field sports than you do for indoor court sports because of differences in the distances involved.

For field sport use photographers add something like a Better Beamer to their flash unit. The Flash X-Tender (Better Beamer) FX-3 Flash Output Booster for Canon 580EX, Canon 580 II and Metz 54-4

A further consideration is using a flash unit that has a zoom head that can change the shape of the beam of light the flash unit produces.
A wide beam is needed when the camera and light are close to the main subject, and a narrower beam is needed when the subject is further away.

Next you need to consider flash unit re-cycle time. Even the best flash units using an optimal battery type take at least a couple of seconds to re-charge after a full power flash.
One can work around that by using flashes of less than full power. But that also means less light, so you need a more powerful flash unit so you can turn down the power yet have the same amount of light as a full power flash from a less powerful unit.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For the record, the YN 560 Mark I and the YN 560 Mark II units are EXCELLENT!! I own 4 of them and love them.

I use them with Phottix Stratto II triggers...

For the record, the YN 560 Mark I and the YN 560 Mark II units are EXCELLENT!! I own 4 of them and love them.

I use them with Phottix Stratto II triggers...
Which other brands of flash unit have you used ?

I have a Nikon SB-700 that I use as well.

I am in need to buy a flash, this is my first flash and I would generally use it for sport photography when its on a stand. But as well for everyday use. I was looking into the canon 430ex II however it is a bit pricey. I was wondering if the YN-560 with some wireless receivers would be just as effective for the use I am using the flash for. If you have any suggestions for a good flash in a good price range let me know! Thanks for viewing and have a good day.

Hello,

I have been using the YN 565EX ETTL Speedlight and I'm very happy with it so far. I have plans to get another of the same unit soon.

Mine has been great and seems well built.

I am new to photography and have not had the unit long enough to be able to speak about longevity.

I would be taking shots of skateboarding/bmxing and scootering. At indoor skateparks and outdoor. As well snowboarding. And as I move on into event photography for my dads entertainment business. I am on a budget from 100 to 200 and maybe could go a bit more however since I'm just getting into photography I am spending quite a fair amount for being a highschool student.

If you want an all manual flash, that will be your cheapest route... and will give the most consistent exposures. But with fast moving subjects that can also increase the difficulty of getting a good shot. You would have to stage it... know your distance and setup for that.. and then shoot when the subject is at that distance.

You could also go TTL.... 3rd party TTL is never as good at OEM TTL, and even OEM TTL can be flaky and inconsistent at times. But for fast moving subjects.. that may be your best bet. Like this maybe... Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Nikon: Camera & Photo Haven't used it myself.. but I do have some Yongnuo 560's, and they are good lights for the money.

But cheap wireless triggers are all manual also.. TTL won't work with them. So really your call...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would think you would want the flash close to your camera so you have the ability to move around a little. I grew up with a large Heiland strobe that had a big battery pack hung over my shoulder. As stated above there is a great falloff of light from the source and having it on the camera helps to reduce that. A TTL flash is great and if it automatically adjusts for zoom that is better.

I think for your 1st flash you should always go with an OEM model. Go with the 480EXII, you won't be disappointed.

Most reactions

Back