Which Focus Mode to use for Wildlife?

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a D7100 and there are many many focus modes... I not sure which one to use. Let me List Them out for you.

AF-S:
1. Single Point AF
2. Auto Point AF

AF-C:
1. Single Point AF
2. Auto Point AF
3. Dynamic 9-Point AF
4. Dynamic 21-Point AF
5. Dynamic 51-Point AF

AF-A
1. Single Point AF
2. Auto Point AF
3. Dynamic 9-Point AF
4. Dynamic 21-Point AF
5. Dynamic 51-Point AF

Which mode should I use? I guessing AF-C and under AF-C, Which setting?

I primarily shoot birds.

Whatever mode or combination of settings that works for you, in the situation that you are in. There is no right or wrong answer.

What would be best will vary with the situation, which is why all those options are available.

Neither AF-C or 3D tracking are needed for subjects that aren't moving, which is when you would use AF-S and choose a single AF point.

Ultimately the camera can only use 1 of the 51 AF points when the shutter is released.
15 of the 51 AF points are cross type AF points. Cross type AF points are more accurate than the other 36 regular AF points.

Learn more about how to effectively use Nikon's Advanced Multi-CAM 3500DX auto focus system: 51 Point AF System | Benefits of the Nikon 51 Point AF System Technology from Nikon

I never use 3D tracking on birds or wildlife since every time I've tried the focus has gone to something I did not want in focus. I always use single-point autofocus and AF-C for birds and wildlife.

I never use 3D tracking on birds or wildlife since every time I've tried the focus has gone to something I did not want in focus. I always use single-point autofocus and AF-C for birds and wildlife.
Which Mode of AF-C Do you use?

^That. But then, I used those settings at Scott's suggestion, so I guess it's no surprise I'd agree with it! It's worked out pretty well for me, in over 90% of my bird shooting.

What do you mean by "which mode of AF-C?" Probably obvious, but my thinker's not really doing its job today.

^That. But then, I used those settings at Scott's suggestion, so I guess it's no surprise I'd agree with it! It's worked out pretty well for me, in over 90% of my bird shooting.

What do you mean by "which mode of AF-C?" Probably obvious, but my thinker's not really doing its job today.

By what mode of AF-C, i mean the 9point, 21point or 51point or auto

By what mode of AF-C, i mean the 9point, 21point or 51point or auto

Ah, okay. I use single-point and try to focus on the eye.

I've successfully used AF-S and AF-C, though I'm always using single point, I prefer AF-C single point, and I turn a3 to anywhere between 3 (normal) and 1(short), a4 to AF-ON only (this forces you to use the AF-on button to activate auto focus and decouples it from the shutter release button, you can research about this if you want but it has some benefits), and a8 off. I like a7 on 51 points, but 11 points has its benefits too for example if you need to move your focus point across the frame quickly, (those numbers may be different than 51/11 depending on your camera model)....

Autofocus Mode: AF-C (continuous)
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic - 9 or 21 (I like 9.. but play with both)
AF-C Priority Mode: Release Prority (menu a1)

Thats what i would (and do) use.. YMMV.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back