Which full frame?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by mommy-medic, Dec 31, 2012.

1. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not everyone with a camera runs a full-time photo business. It may be the OP is just a hobby shooter, and doesn't pay the bills with shutter actuations. It's just a matter of having the disposable income and a cost/benefit analysis is meaningless.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Be aware that FF cameras really need good (expensive) glass to perform well.

3. cwcaesar

cwcaesar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I jumped from the D7000 to the D600. They are nearly identical in the controls except for the live view switch has moved and the d-pad has moved up to a more natural position for selecting AF points with the view finder to the eye. Better ergonomics for my preference. I am really liking the better low light performance, very usable shots up to 6400 ISO. I also like the fact that I get the shallower depth of field with my 50 when the photo is framed the same as the D7000. It really makes it that much easier to isolate the subject. Full Frame makes it nice to not have to convert equivalent focal length. My 50 is a 50.

I would recommend the D600 to you. I never looked at the D800 as I don't have the budget for a new Mac to process those large files, and I heard that the controls can be awkward at times when storing and accessing your pre-sets. (No U1 and U2 selection). However, having the 'pro' level build and weather sealing would be nice.

Good luck in your search!

4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I tried and tried and tried to convince myself the D800 was worth it to me. But 36mp? Seriously? And two different memory cards? I just couldn't sell it to myself. And the D3x and D4 are not only out of my budget, but I hate having a permanently-mounted vertical grip. So the D600 was my only option.

5. mommy-medic

mommy-medic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you everyone. I do plan on renting as well to get some hands-on before purchase, but appreciate the feedback and input.

As far as glass- I have several lenses but prefer my 50mm f/1.4 for 99% of my baby shots. Yes, it's nikkor. I'm just hobby for hire (I reinvest what I make, so no- I dont have disposable income, but dont mind saving up for something thats going to serve me well) but as I explained, I need something with a lesser camera-to-subject distance, so I either purchase a $1400 35mm f/1.4 lens, and have it function at about a 50mm on my crop sensor camera, or I spend a bit more and just get a full frame camera with my 50mm at a 50. I'm mot worried about the price. I'm not about to go buy a D4 but I expect to spend some money to get what I want. I upgraded from a basic D40 to the D7000 last year, knowing I would eventually like to go full frame and keep the 7000 as a back up.

6. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds to me like you DO have things worked out as to what you want and need. From what you have written, the D600 would definitely be a good place to start looking.

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    D600 or a D700 would both be fine for what you describe.

The 35mm f1.4 is a fine lens but when you go to f1.4 you have a very narrow DoF and it's then tough to get the focus point right, especially if the subject moves. Having a body that works in the EV range where you live is far more desirable.

A D800 is probably overkill for what you described.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The D700 and the D3 share the same sensor technology. The D3s (with the little s in the name!) has a newer, better sensor that's significantly better at elevated ISO levels.

ANy of those three cameras at a good "used camera price" would be decent options, I think.

The D600 is a lower "class" of camera, but with a better sensor and higher resolution. And, being brand-new and in-demand, the D600 is somewhat more expensive than the D700,D3, or D3s are on the used market.

9. MiFleur

MiFleur No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

It took me a while to understand that with my FX lens on a crop sensor, I just get the same magnification of my image, it is just that the window is bigger on the FX sensor, on the DX sensor you have a closer crop of the same size image.
    I just aquired the Nikon D600 and I enjoy its high iso capacity and the 24 magapixels that allow me to re-crop some of the images. The image quality is great, but I find that the auto focus is slower than on my D90.
    It is a recent acquisition and I shot quite a bit of low light images, it might be the reason of my impression. I have not seen any spots on the sensor yet, I am on the lookout.

The 35 mm 1.4 lens is on my wish list too but I am not sure that upgrading to a full frame camera do diminish the distance to your subject is a good enough reason to switch camera.
    Bear in mind that with 24 megapixels, each photo file will take longer to process and eat up some space on your hard drive. What are your reasons to upgrade to full frame? trying the camera is a very good idea.
    Good luck with your research!