Which is better light stand: Cameron, Opus or Bowen

As far as I understand Purolator does not charge nearly as much for brokerage as UPS. Its is also worth noting that some items are duty free. From what I understand, digital cameras are but lenses are not.

I have ordered stuff from the states for motocross, decal kits, exhaust systems, ect and was never charged brokerage. I then ordered some pole spears for diving and the brokerage through UPS was 1/3 the price of the items. UPS it seems charges what they want for brokerage. The UPS depot in Lloydminster Alberta is the Purolator depot and the ladies there were embarrassed to have me pay the brokerage. I guess its just another case of buyer beware.

I'm looking to buy a light stand but I have almost no money so I need them to be under $100 (including shipping). The stands would be used inside only (I have a studio) and I want to make sure they can support an alien bee (b400) as well as a large softbox or umbrella.

FYI: I'm in Canada and can't afford the taxes/brokerage fees that come with ordering from the States, so kindly don't suggest stuff from BHphoto as the shipping costs are astronomical. :)

I've narrowed my choices down to 3 "brands" that I can get from a Canadian store (Henry's):

Cameron 9.5' Air Cushioned Light Stand - $84.99
Specs: 4 sections, folded height of 104cm, max. height of 365cm, leg diameter is 22mm, weight is 2.3kg, max load capacity is 4kg.

Bowens Heavy Duty Light Stand - $69.99
Specs: Max height 355cm, min height 100cm, made of anodised aluminium, aluminium locking clasps. Not sure of max load capacity.

Opus Pro 8' Heavy Duty Stand - $69.99
Specs: 3 sections, spring-loaded shock absorbers, max height 8', folded height of 39". No other info available for this stand.

Has anyone ever used these stands? If so, how were they?

The Cameron are nice stands and light mentioned air cushioned.

Here is one that is on sale and may do the job for you. Cameron Air Cushioned Light Stand 8 foot with yellow flat legs

Cameron 8' Air Cushioned Light Stand on Sale for $69.95 while supplies last.

I hope this helps,
icon6.png

Tim

I got 6 stands a couple years ago from a company called Fotodiox ... 10' & Spring Cushioned and they are pretty heavy duty. I put them through hell and they still rock. I only paid $30 each but it looks like they're priced at $49.95 now .. still a great price. Fotodiox Professional Photography Supplies and Equipment

Most reactions

Back