Which Is Better?

Have fun and welcome to the l glass club
You do know it comes with a health warning
You will want more and it’s harmful to your bank balance

Thanks and no worries ... My proctologist said if it it produces crappy pictures he knows of a fix. :culpability:

amazon has a network of authorized shops; some are and some aren't brand specific or certified (the latter makes no difference.. it is a used item, original warranty won't apply regardless).
we own multiple renewed devices and all of them have arrived / still work as the brand new item wold have.

Amazon gives the minimum of 30 days (usually 60) warranty, but some items can hold a longer timeframes.

It's a little confusing, it states that there's a 90 day guarantee to return the product but it also states this: "Suitable for Wedding/Nature Photography, Weather-resistant construction; measures 3.3 inches in diameter; 1-year warranty.

The Canon 17-40 L covers full- frame, but the 18-35 Sigma does not. So that is an advantage to the Canon.

The Canon 17-40 L covers full- frame, but the 18-35 Sigma does not. So that is an advantage to the Canon.

I can't wait to use it, I went to St. Pete today for a cruise and found a number of super nice spot for pics. One place in particular reminded me of Venice with it's canals.

I can't wait to use it, I went to St. Pete today for a cruise and found a number of super nice spot for pics. One place in particular reminded me of Venice with it's canals.

Great. How am I supposed to compete with that Kirk? Here I am stuck in the middle of no-where-ville , having to go out and find subjects, but oh no, not Kirk. Kirk goes out and Birds of all type flock to him like he's a walking bird feeder, Owls , eagles, you name it.
NOW VENICE and waterways. CRUISES! I quit!
LS6

Great. How am I supposed to compete with that Kirk? Here I am stuck in the middle of no-where-ville , having to go out and find subjects, but oh no, not Kirk. Kirk goes out and Birds of all type flock to him like he's a walking bird feeder, Owls , eagles, you name it.
LS6

??? Are you being serious or just yanking my chain? It's hard to tell online sometimes.

LS6

??? Are you being serious or just yanking my chain? It's hard to tell online sometimes.
LOL
Are you kidding me?
You're stuck with me.

I,ve had a few Sigma lens over the years. Never liked any of them. I,ve had some Tamron,s in the past and though they were pretty decent.

I had one bad experience with a Sigma years ago. I shoot Canon and have found myself pleased with their glass. As for Tamron I had several, in the distant past, with varying results. As for “renewed” lenses from Amazon, pass. Go to the Canon website and check out their refurbished items. They come with a full one year warranty and you have the knowledge that the item was checked and brought up, if necessary, to Canon standards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I follow astronomy closely. I've shared this before but I still find it amazing. The science behind the coatings in highest level Canon primes is truly astounding.

This is a bit technical but at about the 20 minute mark (see the link below) he starts talking about star magnitudes and light scattering. A couple minutes after that he introduced the Canon lens they used. It is hard to emphasize enough how incredible the science is in this lens. Only a few of the L primes have this coating but it also has to placed on excellent glass. So for me, this really confirmed that Canon L is the best.

There is another lecture where the astronomers are having a Q&A about the array and they are asking each other why a photographer would need such good optics. It is really funny. The conclusion was...these guys are smart... daytime sports, wildlife, paparazzi.

Oh, and most of us would like to have one of these. I think the array is up to 36+.

Tamron has been okay for me. I do not think that the third-party lenses are worth paying new price for, since they depreciate so rapidly.

I really think that buying used lenses is the smart way to go, especially if you buy from a large concern that has a refund policy. In terms of resale value, manufacturer-made lenses have always held an advantage over third party lenses, especially in high grade lenses that cost 1500 to $2,500 or more new.

What do you think about a renewed (amazon) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM? Would save me just over $110.

K9, first you've never said what camera you will be using? Is it FF or crop?
I personally would never use a 3rd party lens on my Canon no matter how good it's reputed to be.
The 17-40 is a full fledged "L" lens, make no mistake about that. It's just not a very versatile range for me. I use a 24-70/105 way more often. BUT, if I gotta go wide I use the 17-40 on my FF, it's my widest lens. On a crop 17 is not very wide.
A "refurb", renew as you're calling it, is every bit as good as a new lens. At least the ones sold by Canon are. I have no idea who's selling refurbs on Amazon? As long as the seller's lenses are refurbed by Canon you'll be fine, though they might be Grey Market refurbs, in which case they will not have Canon warranties! Good luck
SS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back