ranmyaku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jpgmag.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to decide which is the best option, here are the options:

Basically the decision is between a New Nikkor Micro 105mm VR vs the non-VR version which is a little older.

bhphoto.com
Telephoto AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Autofocus Lens - $759.95 - new

KEH.com
Same thing as above @ $695.00 with a EX+ rating

OR the NON-VR version of the above:
EX+ rating = $569
EX rating = $525

I was hoping the used version of the non-VR would be significantly cheaper...but you are only looking at roughly 200 dollars. The new one has VR (even though maybe not useful for the macro aspects) and it would have a 5 year warranty. Thoughts?

I asked b/c I've read many reviews on both products and the non-VR lens seems to be just as good.

well usually for macro you wanna use a tripod or similar setup anyways...so you can pick which one you want really.

From my pov, the question is: Are you going to use the VR?

You're probably NOT if shooting macro/micro (why does Nikon confuse this?) off a tripod.

clarification <edit> If shooting anything else hand-held, you WILL make use of the VR. I've used this lens with my 50 1.8 and 70-200 2.8 VR to take promo shots for the local HS play. I've used the 70-200 off the balcony for full stage shots and the 105 and 50 for closer ones.<edit-end>

I bought this lens for close-ups on the scale models I build - and found that tripod shots were better but found it useful under other circmstances where the VR does come into play. My son loves this for shooting close-ups of flowers, plants and even small critters.

I own the VR version.

Buy the non-VR version.

The VR is useless in macro mode, and the lens hunts like a bird dog on autofocus.

I wish I had bought the older model.

On the bright side, my lens is sharp, sharp, sharp, and auto-focusing in macro doesn't work well with the best of lenses... manual is the way to go for bugs and what not anyway.

Most reactions

Back