Which kind of lighting do I need?

rasmus_b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot videos of synthesizer performances, like this one:

As you can probably see, I don't know much about photography or video but I do realise that I need to invest in better lighting to get decent quality videos.

I have done some research but all the information I can find seems to be on setting up lights for shots with people in them (3 point lighting). My videos feature a table full of synthesizers and drum machines, not people.

What is the best way to light this kind of setup?

I live in a small apartment and shoot these video in my living room, so I need a solution that can be tucked away when I'm done. I would also like to be able to shoot one or two videos per week with out too much preparation, so a solution that can be set up quickly would be a big plus. Finally, cost is a factor too. I'm hoping to be able to do something for 150 EUR or less (possibly some kind of DIY solution).

Looks like you might want to have some type of a gentle fill lighting, to make the skin look less yellow, and maybe to give more detail to the Korg unit, so...I guess you might want something that can provide soft, diffused light--maybe with a 15-Euro photographic umbrella as a diffuser for the light.

The big issue is white balance for the LED lights on the equipment, and making those look good, and then having a light source that looks good with the white balance value that looks best for the equipment's lights.

I would also check into the 180 degree rule concept, as it related to how the camera is positioned in relation to the subject.180-degree rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I watched the video...I think the skin-tone looks too yellow. I think a light that has a so-called daylight color balance might look okay, but I also think a quartz-halogen light, diffused with one or two thicknesses of diffusion material, would work, and would be low in cost. A bare quartz-halogern light's bulb is VERY harsh--it MUST be diffused with "something", or else the shadows will be extremely hard-edged.

This video will show what is meant by diffusing material, specifically, factory-made, commercially available material.:

ONE light source, fairly LARGE, will work fine for your synthesizer set-up. Consider using two thicknesses of shower curtain, suspended on a rod or pole using shower curtain rings. Behind the shower curtain, set up one 500-Watt or 1,000-Watt quartz-halogen work light.

Total cost, about 45 Euro.

Last edited:
Wow, that was quick - and very informative! I see what you mean with the 180 degrees rule... I'll have to give that some thought.

About the lights, I think you are right about the diffusion and I would love to experiment with different materials. I still have some questions though...
  • Do you think 2 lights might do the trick, one on each side? Or do I need a 3rd light in there somehow?
  • I wonder (approximately) how powerful the lights should be? 1,000 lumens each? 10,000 lumens each? I have no clue :)
  • There are plenty of soft boxes on stands available on ebay, and they appear to be a good solution for me? They are cheap, easy to set up and store, and diffusion materials can easily be attached to the front? I wonder if 50 x 70 cm is a reasonable size for my setup?

ONE light source, fairly LARGE, will work fine for your synthesizer set-up. Consider using two thicknesses of shower curtain, suspended on a rod or pole using shower curtain rings. Behind the shower curtain, set up one 500-Watt or 1,000-Watt quartz-halogen work light.

Total cost, about 45 Euro.

Sorry I didn't see your second post before replying. I already have a work light, so I might try that solution first. Is it ok to put the light on the floor and point it up on the shower curtain or do I need to elevate it somehow?

50 x 70 cm is a fairly small light. It will be more crisp than something larger, like the shower curtain.

The bigger the light, the softer the light. The closer the light, the softer it is--but the more-rapidly the light falls off into deep shadow on the "far" side of the set.

There is a lot of misinfomation on ther web about moving the light "very close" in order to make it soft--misinformation that utterly ignores that moving a light as close a 1/2 meter makes one side soft light, and 1/2 meter to the shadow side, there can be a 4-EV fall-off, or more, especially with a small light.

A LARGE light, like two shower curtains, and 2.5 meters didstance and a work light behind will give a nice, soft, broad light, and only one light will be needed. If you add a second light, it can easily look too flat....

Trust me: ONE, big light for this...that is what you want. One, single, LARGE light, 2 meters by 1.5 meters...like a shower curtain.

50 x 70 cm is a fairly small light. It will be more crisp than something larger, like the shower curtain.

The bigger the light, the softer the light. The closer the light, the softer it is--but the more-rapidly the light falls off into deep shadow on the "far" side of the set.

There is a lot of misinfomation on ther web about moving the light "very close" in order to make it soft--misinformation that utterly ignores that moving a light as close a 1/2 meter makes one side soft light, and 1/2 meter to the shadow side, there can be a 4-EV fall-off, or more, especially with a small light.

A LARGE light, like two shower curtains, and 2.5 meters didstance and a work light behind will give a nice, soft, broad light, and only one light will be needed. If you add a second light, it can easily look too flat....

Trust me: ONE, big light for this...that is what you want. One, single, LARGE light, 2 meters by 1.5 meters...like a shower curtain.

Thanks. I'll try this setup in the coming weekend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back