Which laptop do you all use, and why

zeppelin390

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wingsimaging.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought an Asus-Q8LULR3 from Best buy and am having mixed emotions about it. It is a sleek 2-1 with 8GB RAM, i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz. I was disappointing that the store did not have an SSD for me to try out or many different options with the i7. They have a 15-day refund policy which I plan on using the full extent of, I am just not looking forward to the multiple trips back and forth doing exchanges until I find the laptop I am satisfied with.
Anyways, what do you guys use, and are you happy with it?

Currently:
MSI Gaming Series. Totally beefed up with CPU, Memory and Graphics power to see off anything I've thrown at it.

I use it for editing images (18 - 36megapixels in size) and intensive SQL Server database work (2-3tb at a time locally).

I have switched to MacBook Pro recently from a Windows laptop as well. If you edit photos on your laptop, you need a decent IPS display. And Windows based laptops with a decent IPS display cost about as much as a good MacBook Pro. So I thought what the heck. It is a nice machine, large SSD, 16 Mb RAM, i7 Quad, but switching from Win to iOS takes time, similar functions have different keys and names, and sometimes it is quite annoying.

And Windows based laptops with a decent IPS display cost about as much as a good MacBook Pro. So I thought what the heck. It is a nice machine, large SSD, 16 Mb RAM, i7 Quad, but switching from Win to iOS takes time, similar functions have different keys and names, and sometimes it is quite annoying.

what size screen on that Mac?
The only mac in my budget is a 13"

I'm using the MBP since last year. Always travelling so wanted something small and went the 13". Has only the i5, 8GB and the 250 SSD. Just finished an 8 hour presentation just on battery power. Seems to handle LR just fine, but I don't throw that much at it.

I have a DELL Inspiron with touch screen, Windows 10, an i7processor and 14" screen. It runs Photoshop using my Medium Wacom tablet, MS Office and usually a couple other programs all at the same time with no problem. Only concern is screen colors may not be true. Music sounds very good also.

2009 Macbook Pro, 15"

It's what I have.

If I were to upgrade, it'd prob be a Eurocom mobile workstation with a 6 or 8 core Xeon. Multithreading is more important to me than battery capacity, not so much for photography, but for content creation, simulation and compositing.

My desktop is a Dell T5610 with two e5-2630 v2 installed, K2000, 16GB, will upgrade to 24GB soon, then another 32GB after that for a total of 56GB.

Last edited:
And Windows based laptops with a decent IPS display cost about as much as a good MacBook Pro. So I thought what the heck. It is a nice machine, large SSD, 16 Mb RAM, i7 Quad, but switching from Win to iOS takes time, similar functions have different keys and names, and sometimes it is quite annoying.

what size screen on that Mac?
The only mac in my budget is a 13"

15". I went to 15" Mac from my 17" Lenovo. Did not notice any big difference. Now I think 13" would not be a problem. But I very rarely do any advanced editing.

A top spec 15" Macbook Pro. With a thunderbolt monitor and Pegasus Promise Raid. Two years old but can still edit 4k footage and is quick on the autopano renders. I know I could get a beefier machine for cheaper, but form factor is so important. With Lightroom previews stored on the laptop I can unplug and bring it to a presentation meeting with a future client and have my whole portfolio ready to present.

MBP. 15".

blingon.jpeg

Dell Inspiron 15. It's what I could afford.
I did add 8GB to it too.

I took back the Asus and got a HP Spectre 360 with the SSD, and holy **** this thing is fast. I read into how the SSD functions, and it is quite impressive. The only drawback is that it is a 13" monitor. I'm not sure if I'm just not used to editing on such a small screen and it is something I will adjust to over time, or if this will this continue to be an issue.
Has anybody else gone from a 15" to a 13" monitor size?

For me, My newly built beast of a desktop is where all my photo work gets done. But I just bought my new laptop about 1 month ago. It was between the Dell XPS 13 2015 and the MBP 13 Retina 2015. I was looking for good mobility with mild editing capability.

I ended up trying the MBP 13. It's actually my first Apple device. So far I am very happy. After 1 month of use, I am NOT even remotely convinced that OS X is better than Windows (or vice versa). But I will say this, the MB/MBP is by far the best product that Apple offers IMO and it is a very solid laptop with great battery life. Although, I am sure I would have been happy with the Dell XPS 13 too.

Most reactions

Back