Which lens combo?

CubiX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys! New here :)
I'm buying my first SLR, the Nikon D7000 kit with the DX 18-105 VR lens. With it I have the option to take another lens with some serious discount. These are my options: Nikon AF-S DX 18-55 3.5-5.6GII, Nikon AF 50 mm 1,8 D and Tamron AF 70-300 F/4-5,6 LD Makro 1:2.

Which one, if any of these would you recommend? The point being, I guess, something that would compliment the bundled 18-105.

what kind of stuff do you shoot typically? are those your only choices in the discounted lenses? what's your budget?

out of the ones you listed, if you want to shoot lots of tele stuff, then the 70-300 would be better, if you shoot lower light stuff, or need to get better DOF separation, then the 50 1.8 would be better...I wouldn't even consider the 18-55, if you're already getting the 18-105, the 18-55 would be completely pointless.

welcome to the forum BTW.

if you could get a discount on a 70-300 VR that would be ideal the tamron isnt that great, i would get a used 55-200 afs vr over that for ~$100
The 18-55 is a great kit lens but you are getting an 18-105... so it would be useless for you, completely useless...
the 50 1.8 is a GREAT lens out of the 3 this is definately the one i would pick up.

Thx. Based on your advice and some additional reading I decided on the 50mm 1.8. I feel that that would suit my needs fine for now.
At the same time I ordered a memory card, a bag and a gorillapod. I always wanted one of those since I can easily see myself always having it with me, unlike a normal tripod.

Most reactions

Back