Which lens(es) to use?

A_Bird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm doing a favor for a friend and taking some engagement pictures for them. They know I'm a noob at this and don't mind. We both agreed it's for fun and for practice. Which lenses should I primarily be using. We'll be going to Huntington Library Botanical Gardens. Here's what lenses I own. Thanks in advance!

Minolta AF Lenses:
35-70mm f/3.5-4.5
70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 (Zoom)

Minolta Prime Lenses:
50mm f/1.7
28mm f/2.8

Sony Lens:
18-70mm f/3.5-5.6

my .02 would be to take the 2 prime lenses. I may or may not take one of the zoom lenses. You can zoom w/ your feet, so I would probably stick w/ the wide angle prime and the 50mm.

I would bring all of them. :D you never know what your going to run into!

Are you using an APS-C DSLR? If so...

For full body portraits use 30mm+ focal length. For waist up portraits use 50mm+. For head/face shots use 70mm+.

You can use focal lengths shorter than 30mm if you are including a lot of scenery, but don't go wide angle if the subjects are filling a lot of the frame. Wide angle will distort the relative size between near and far objects making noses and other parts closer to the camera bulge out.

There will be a lot of beautiful scenery, and you'll be tempted to try to include lots of it in the photos. Fight that urge for at least a few of the photos. Pose them against simple, darker backgrounds that fill the frame like a backdrop. Busy, bright, chaotic backgrounds distract from the subjects.

My preference for the primary lens you should use would be the 50mm, it will be sharper than the zooms, so the happy couple could make a nice large print.

Your 50mm is f1.4, which is a very wide aperture, so if the lighting is a little low, or your shooting in shadows, will give you more light. Try and shoot around f8 for best lens sharpness.

Also fill flash outdoors is very good for cleaning up shadows on the face, start at - 1/3ev and try -2/3 ev depending on the brightness of the sun.

Good luck and shoot lots

Most reactions

Back