Which Lens f/1.8 or f/1.4

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have two Cannon 50mm lenses, one f/1.8 and one f/1.4. I'm just getting 'restared' in photography, since I put my camera's away in the early 80's.
Could someone explaine the differences between the two? Is one better for certain situations than the other. Thanks for any help, and I know, I need to buy a photo book and relearn all of this stuff. :confused:

Thanks,

J.

The F/1.8 will have a less shallow depth of field and will require more light. The F/1.4 will have a more shallow depth of field and will allow you to shoot in dimmer conditions, making it a faster lens. Usually way more expensive too.

Mark

1.4 most likely... faster glass and ability to go shallower depth of field than 1.8 as well.

Best thing to do would be to mount each one and see which one produces the better photos. :)

Agreed. The 1.4 can do everything the 1.8 can do (as far as exposure is concerned), and then some. But it may have a nick on the glass or something, always check optics.

Mark

1.4 is faster and normally more expensive if like for like. If the budget allows always go for the faster lens

1.4 is faster and normally more expensive if like for like. If the budget allows always go for the faster lens
He's not buying anything, he already has these lenses and is just asking about the difference between the two.

Also be advised if your getting back in and jump into digital, your 50mm is going to closer to an 80mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back