Which Lens for Portraits?

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which lens would you suggest for portraits?

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 or Nikon 85mm f/1.4.

85mm is one of the very best for portraits. That's what it's was made for. Very pleasing bokeh, aka the cream machine. Will give you the super shallow DOF look and is incredibly sharp from f/2 and up.

70-200, also great for portraits. Will still give you great bokeh and shallow DOF as well, just not as great as the 85/1.4. One plus side is that you get the versatile of a zoom. Easy to get full head shot without getting too close.

ether one wood work the 1.4 is faster so if you whant a faster lens go with that but the 70 to 200 will give you a wider rang alowing for sum nice full body shots

.....really?:er:

I would rather have the 70-200 VR, either the older model, or the newer VR-II model...more focal lengths to choose from, stabilization, ease of use, focal length flexibility, with both shorter focal lengths and longer focal lengths than the 85 prime offers...I have both a 70-200 and the 85/1.4...the zoom is really nice! it's a very solid lens, and focuses well, and allows lots of variety without needing to change shooting position all the time.

Most reactions

Back