Which Lens for Wedd Photo

shachr6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a new lens I eventually want to get into wedding photography and wondering which one to go with, would you reccomend the EF 24-70mm f2.8L, EF 16-35mm f2.8L, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, or something totally different?

Depends on camera you use?

1.6x crop
17-55 f2.8 IS
70-200 f2.8L IS
Plus a fast prime or two for low light at receptions.
10-22 is nice for those wider angle shots

FF camera
Swap the 17-55 for the 24-70 f2.8L
Swap the 10-22 fr the 16-35

On top of that a second body (rent, loan or buy), 2 flash units, lots of memory...... the list can go on!

I just have the kit lens with the XTI and the 50mm 1.8, I thought the 17-55 f2.8 IS would be best but wasent to sure. Thanks

For a wedding you really need more focal length coverage than up to 55mm (although it can be done), you really need 2 cameras, 2 flashes etc etc.... What if your camera stops working on the day? (I've had a friend this happened to - she called me in a panic). my advice is do not gamble with people's big day - it will bite you big style!

I'm not a wedding pro as such. I book a few a year through word of mouth but decided that I neded the right gear. 2 bodies (one borrowed), 2 flashes, a range of lenses from 10-200 (although I can go to 420mm if I need to) with large apertures (mostly f2.8 and faster).

You need fast lenses and the 17-55 IS is a great choice but what if you go to a church and the minister asks you to stay at the back with no flash (this happens)? The 17-55 is not going to give you those close in shots you need of the exchange of rings or the kiss etc. Maybe a 100 f2 might be of use

70-200 f2.8L IS would be the only real choice for a wedding pro using Canon gear.

i'd suggest not being a main photographer until you have more equipment and experience. When you shoot as a second photographer you'll realise the complex issues of wedding photography.

Oh yeah I am definatley not going to do any wedding until I get the right gear. I was just wondering on the lens, if I should go with that lens or get the L glass. I do plan on getting the 70-200mm 2.8L IS next and another camera body. I am also looking into getting a couple flashes, is there any you would reccomend, I was thinking the 580EX is there another that you could suggest as a second?

I am also looking into getting a couple flashes, is there any you would reccomend, I was thinking the 580EX is there another that you could suggest as a second?
The 580EX would be the ideal choice, or the new 580EX II. As a 2nd flash, another 580EX or a 430EX would be good.

Yes you seem to be heading in the right direction. Get a fast prime too for low light use. 85mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.4 are excellent in use. these can be great backups to your main lenses should anything (god forbid) happen.

I have the 580EX and can recommend that. I also have a Sigma EF 500DG super which I can use as master/slave along with the 580EX.

Cheers
Jim

Most reactions

Back