which lens should i buy for a sony DSC f828?

lulabel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HellO! my name is chrissy and this is my first post. im hoping to get some advice on what equipment to buy because it is all very confusing to me.

I own a Sony DSC f828 (7x zoom) camera with Carl Zeiss lens. I love taking surf shots, but im not satisfied with the zoom/quality of shots i get from the beach. I don't have waterproof housing for my camera, so shooting from the beach/pier are my only options.

im looking for an affordable lens for a serious non-pro photographer that would give me maximum zoom/clarity for surf shots.
i have done research, but i think i am more confused now than i was before.
any suggestions?

I thought those were fixed lens cameras. I just gave a quick Google look and didn't find anything specifically for a 828. Have you found special mods or am I mistaken?

They are fixed lens cameras. And if you're not happy with the clarity and quality of the shots, throwing a cheap "lens" piece in front won't help the issue.

well i know putting on a crappy "cheap" lense piece would be a waste of time...
i was just looking for a stronger zoom for surf shots.

so since its a fixed lense, does that mean that there are no options as far as attachments go?
this is a new-ish camera for me so im not really sure whats compatible. just trying to get the best photos possible!

Last edited:
Yes, it is fixed-lens, so unfortunately you can't get closer shots. You can always put on the infamous digital zoom but that will ruin the quality. I sometimes see so-called extenders for point and shoots, but those are most likely poor quality.

Unfortunately, your camera doesn't have interchangeable lenses...so you are stuck with what you have. You could add something to the front of the lens, to give you a closer view (more magnification) but that will hurt your image quality...and these types of accessories typically aren't of great quality.

This is one of the big reasons why many of use choose to use SLR type cameras...most of them have an interchangeable lens system.

Wow.. I went googling that camera to see what it is, and that is one funky looking beast! Looks like a camcorder! I, too, was going to suggest that it was a fixed-lens camera without the ability to change lenses.

I looked and didn't see any accessories. I have a nikon coolpix 8700 (similar to yours Prosumer setup) and bought the Nikon wide angle and 2x tele extender. They work really well. But they were made specifically for the lens used on the camera, by Nikon. The have the good coatings just like a normal Nikon lens. And are made with several glass elements to control aberations and such.

What everyone else is talking about is the cheap screw on lens attachments being hocked all over the place. They are cheap, probably no coatings, are not designed for specific lenses other than screw on size. In other words no engineering at all to fit a specific lens. Basically putting a magnifying glass in front of your current lens. Or wide effect.

If there is an accessory lens made by Sony or better yet Zeiss it may not be so bad. I have not seen any. The camera may not be made to take an accessory.

One caution about adding one to your camera. My Nikon version is designed to connect to the body, not the lens. Have to use an extension tube, and the lens can extend and retract inside the tube. The tube screws to the body over the lens. The accessory lens screws to the extension tube. So the weight of the accessory lens is not on the lens itself. The lenses and motors are not that strong. By putting a large element on the front of your lens you may risk breaking it (most likely will break it)!!! They are not designed for it!

I came really close to buying the 828 at one time, but glad I went with an DSLR instead as the f828 is a bridge camera and you can't change the lnes. By the time I got to the point of wanting the additional flexability of other lenses, it was obvious that it was time to look at a DSLR. The lens attachments that you find on ebay and elsewhere are pretty much crap. Take that money and set it aside for a dslr in the future.

Yup i have one of these and a 2x tele extender is all i have found to help. It is a great camera for just having around and easy to use plus it does video. Not good for studio work at all because you can't hook strobes up to it.

Most reactions

Back