Which lens should I get?

Nessie162

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello :)
So I'm getting NikonD7000 in a week. It's my first DSLR, and I'm having trouble choosing the lens.
I mainly shoot my dogs, wildlife and my family.

Could someone explain to me what's the difference between:
- Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD
and
- Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro

The first one is twice as expensive than the latter.
Is it because the latter is a macro lense and without VC?

Anyway which option would be better?
1. Buying
Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.4G or Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG HSM AF-S/AF-D
and saving for Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di VC USD (can't afford it atm :oops: )

or

2. Buying Tamron SP AF 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro

Thanks!!! :)

VC = vibration compensation. It's basically Tamron's version if Nikon's VR. That's why it's more expensive. And if you can afford it, that's the lens is get if I were you. So go with the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 and then save for the Tamron with VC.

Last edited:
Well the non vc version of the tamron 70-200mm is an older design than the vc version from what I understand.

In many of the reviews I read the older non vc version sometimes has issues with the af motor being noisy and sometimes slow to focus. I haven't shot one myself so it's based just on what I've read. The vc version apparently doesn't have these issues and is very highly regarded by most the folks that own it.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

Well the non vc version of the tamron 70-200mm is an older design than the vc version from what I understand.

In many of the reviews I read the older non vc version sometimes has issues with the af motor being noisy and sometimes slow to focus. I haven't shot one myself so it's based just on what I've read. The vc version apparently doesn't have these issues and is very highly regarded by most the folks that own it.

That was what I thought the main "rap" was against the older lens...focusing "issues"...check the dPreview review of the older lens, which was based on a longer than typical period of use of the lens. And of course, the "NEW" VC model is competing now against Canon and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lenses that have risen in price around 800 US dollars since the earlier lenses came out; a top-class camera-maker 70-200 with stabilizing system is no longer $1699, like it was in the early 2000's...it's more like $2499...a full eight bills more dough, and so, Sigma and Tamron have seen fit to raise prices--AND, this is the big deal--to also boost the level of performance and quality. They HAVE to...the camera maker 70-200's have gotten better too, so the third-party makers also needed to follow suit.

Yes, the VC is the better lens, hence the more money. But, depending on what wildlife you shoot and when, I don't know that I would recommend either of those tamarons. You are most likely going to want more reach. You might want to check out a 300mm, or even a 500 or 600mm.

Just a suggestion, since you are just starting out, why not just get the 50mm 1.8D? It is a boatload cheaper and you not even like the 50mm perspective on a crop camera..

I just got the 70-200 VC and it is a great lens. There is a post in the" general gallery" however, I would not reccomend it as a" primary" wildlife lens..

Thanks everyone :)
200mm should be enough for me at the beginning. Foxes and deers are very tame here, and they come up quite close.
Maybe when I'll get some more experience I'll get a longer lens.
For now I'll start saving up for the 70-200mm VC :D

Also if you say VC's are better do you think this lens is worth considering? Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC ?
And which would be better in terms of picture quality:
- Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC
or
- Nikkor 50mm AF-S f1.8 (of f1.4)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Consider the 50mm 1.8g over the 1.4, you'll save a lot of $$. I'm not sure if they've updated the 1.4 lately but a year ago it was in many ways inferior to the cheaper 1.8.

Also consider a used 80-200mm f2.8 2 ring. Can be had for as little as $500 and are optically superior to the new tamrons.

Most reactions

Back