Which lens to buy??

natural.disaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My birthday is comming up in 2 days! Hubby wants to know what i want....Of course i want something to do with photography!

Im wanting to start doing studio shoots.
I have the Nikon D5000 with 18-55 & 55-200mm lens...and no external flashes.
I have backdrops, 2 steady burning umbrella lights, and tripod.

If you were me...
Would you invest in another lens? If so which one best for this type of work?
Or a different type of flash? If so what?
Or something else for the studio? If so what?

Ive been concentrating on just figuring out how to use what i have...so i dont really have a lot of knowledge as far as what all the extras are and what they are used for. So any input would be appreciated!

What's your budget?... I'd recommend a 50mm f1.4G and a SB-600. That should be great for your studio work. The 50mm on the crop sensor is like a 75mm full frame. Great for portraits.

I love my Nikkor 17-55 2.8. Works well in a lot of situations.

other than that- a couple sb600s and some triggers would serve you well.

p!nK

Dont really want to spend over $400-$500
Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D - Review / Test Report

This amazing lens, however, won't autofocus with your camera. Amazon sells it for $433.

"The Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8 D was a very boring lens during the tests simply because it showed a exceptional performance in all tested categories. Besides the lab results the lens shows a beautiful bokeh (out-of-focus blur). If I had to name a weakness it may be flare in contra light but it is a minor issue in the otherwise very harmonic package. So if you´re looking for a portrait lens or a similar application where you would like to isolate an object from its environment this is an ideal lens. Highly recommended!"

Optical Quality:
4hstar.gif
thumbsup.jpg
Mechanical Quality:
4star.gif
Price/Performance:
5star.gif

Sounds like a pretty good buy...
Ive been searching the internet for about 2 hours now looking at everything from lens, flashes, props, materials, etc.
I want it all!!!
:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back