Which lens to get?

balazstoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking for a lens to get for a Canon T3i. I am only planning to buy one lens, which has pretty wide applications.

I am going to use it for 60-70% indoors for taking pictures about animals coming into a vet hospital. Some macro images about skin, surgical sites etc. Also would need to use the video mode to record short <5 minute clips. I would also like to use it for other things (30-40%) including portraits, landscapes.

So I would need a lens that is good/acceptable for all these. Is it even possible?

I was looking at

1. Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM Standard Zoom Lens
2. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens
3. Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens
4. Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens

Which is is the best one of these? Can't decide.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I am going to suggest a lens that is pretty pricey. EF 24-105 f/4L. It is pricey.. but it is much better quality. You should be able to find a used one on craigslist from time to time around $800-$850. It is very common lens on sale because it is a kit lens for a 5D II.

The beauty about buying a QUALITY used lens is that in a year or two, you probably can sell it for the same price again as long as you keep it nice and don't break it.

If i have to pick from the 4 you posted, I probably take the 28-135.

I would go for the 18-135, i had the 28-135mm and found it was not wide enough on a crop camera such as yours. Macro wont be possible with any of the above lenses though

I would go for the 18-135, i had the 28-135mm and found it was not wide enough on a crop camera such as yours. Macro wont be possible with any of the above lenses though
Extension tubes. I've even done macro with my Canon 100-400mm using extension tubes:

Butterfly_7084.jpg

Mud_Fiddler_4035.jpg

It doesn't sound like you need to get a long zoom lens based on your application, I honestly can't imagine that you'll need a 200mm lens on a crop frame sensor indoors especially when the lens is as slow as those; the IS won't stop animals moving!

I've never used one, though the get good reviews, but I'm thinking a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 might fit your application. It's wide and fast enough for indoors and you can zoom to 50mm for a great portrait length. The wide end is also good for landscape and while you won't pick out far off detail at 50mm it's hardly bad.

You might even look into the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, I know it's Tamron but you could get one for $430 and I've read great things about that too.

I know they're on your list but the Sigma is not far off the prices of the lenses you're looking at and I really think you'll benefit from the wider and constant aperture. The Tamron is a lot cheaper but won't the resale value of a Canon lens but you still get the wide aperture which valuable indoors and for portraiture. They focus relatively close too!

Last edited:
I have the 18 135. It's a pretty good lens even though it's not great in low light and not the sharpest. I have shot many a good photo and video from it. I actually won a video competition last year and 1 of the scenes was shot with that lens.

I have the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and I think it would work great for you mentioned uses. It is very good at indoor shots with no flash when used wide open. I have enjoyed it so far.

If you are interested in a standard zoom lens, which seems pretty obvious from your options. I recommend getting the Tamron 18-270. If not, then just get the Canon 18-200.

Most reactions

Back